CH8; MASKS.

Complete book currently available on Okadabooks! Only preview chapters will be available here.

HADEWA CALIPHATE,

NIGERIA.

"I must say, we're all glad you're back home. We no longer have to worry about the stability of our Caliphate"

Aali smiled, his hand resting on his crossed legs as he leaned back on the couch, eyes fixated on Umar. "It's good to be back too. The only downside is that I have to take my Prince role seriously now" He joked, making both he and Umar laugh.

Though, Aali's laughter is fake. He is just coaxing up Umar so he can find out what truly brought him to the Prince's chamber to begin with. "Well, that's what being a Prince is all about after all. You'll soon become a Calipha, you need to ease up to the role"

Aali nodded slowly, as if letting Umar's words sink in. "You're right but subhan Allah, that work is too much. I'm sure my mother won't mind telling me what to do once I become a Calipha, or should I say guiding me. I don't have to worry about much you know. I have her" He shrugged carelessly, throwing his head back slightly in exhaustion.

Umar stared at the Prince with lips set into a tight line and eyes narrowed. He took advantage of the fact that the Prince can't see him so he could glare at the man. Does he think he can fool Umar with that petty charade of his?

The minute Aali looked back up, Umar expertly maneuvered his smile right across his wrinkling face. "You seem a bit nonchalant regarding the position..." His voice held that edge that would've made Aali react if he really does care about the throne.

Aali however shrugged again. "I don't like stress" Was his only response; his lips curling into a sly grin.

Umar had to bite his tongue hard to stop himself from yelling at the prince to drop the acts. But, he held himself back and decided to poke a spot Aali can't resist. He stretched his hand out, his index finger lightly trailing the edge of the fruit bowl Aali had delivered earlier when he arrived. "Have you heard?" He flickered his stern gaze to look at Aali and monitor his reaction up close, his eagle eyes remained fixated on every corner, every crevice his eyes can see. "The people of Hadewa are being randomly murdered"

Aali's face contorted into that of surprise, his mouth falling open, "Really?" He gasped, eyes widening for a split second. He then shook his head the next second afterwards, and shrugged again, "Baba will take care of it" He picked up a grape and threw it into his mouth, leaning back on the couch comfortably.

Umar resisted the urge to scoff. "Don't you care at all? It's your job as the Prince to oversee some of these problems. The press has their eyes on you"

Once again, Aali nonchalantly shrugged, "Like I said before, I don't like stress. You, the Calipha, the Queens, and the council members can handle this, right? Then please do so. The least I can get is some time off. I just returned after all, I'll leave the Royal responsibilities off to you people"

"And what if this continues till your reign, what will you do then?"

Aali lazily flickered his eyes to Umar, "You all will continue to work for me, right? Then you people should do the work, and I'll take the credit"

Umar gulped, fists tightening by his side. He came all the way over here to see the Prince's nonchalant attitude that people speak of in hopes that the Prince will turn out to be an incompetent fool. However, now seeing that nonchalant attitude irks him. "You'll take the credit?" Umar asked, as if he couldn't believe what his ears just heard.