"ELEMENT"

JAHANI.

It had to be one of the hottest days in August so far. Detroit had been experiencing a heat wave, yet, we were Michigan so it decided it wanted to rain too. My white tee sticking to my body and sweat trickling down my forehead.

"Man, when you going to stop busting ya ass at Vaughn's?" Slim questioned while he stood post in the front door, smoking a backwoods. As if the block wasn't already hot.
"Until I'm straight." I continued to unload the truck to stock the shelves.
"Tuh, if you don't just go to Sekou and sell a couple bags. You'll be set." Stifling out a laugh glaring down at my dirty Vans. "I don't get you...you could have it all, make your name known within these streets but you settle for working in a convenient store, bruh!" Slim thought that he was the shit for slanging within the streets, that kind of life wasn't for me.

Simply shrugging, "I'm not trying to bite the hand that feeds me." I stepped over the broken down boxes and made my way up to the register to assist the customers.
"Find everything alright, Ken?"
"Yeah, lemme get uh pack of Newports and toss a couple swishers."
"You want ya Now 'N' Laters?"
"Grape."

The brisk air from the open door swept through the store along with a familiar face coming in from the August warmth. Vaughn, he sucked his teeth down at Slim,"What you doing kid?"
"Minding my business," He hunched his shoulders while Vaughn quirked an eyebrow before shooing him off.

"You scaring away my customers, get ya lanky ass up," I chuckled while Slim sucked his teeth and tossed his shirt over his shoulder, putting out his backwood and pushing it behind his ear.

"You always so mean, V." Slim frowned as he followed Vaughn back to the staff room.
"All out of love son, you holding shit down Jah?" Giving him a simple nod while Vaughn closed the door behind him and Slim so they could handle business. I stared at the door momentarily before putting on the radio while going back to unloading the truck.

After a few minutes Slim came from the staff room with a duffel bag and nodded for me to follow,"I'll be back in a few hours, V." I informed him as he dapped me up, lighting a cigarette while taking post behind the register.

"Take care, sons." Following Slim to his all black Pontiac that was parked in the fire lane, that surprisingly didn't have a ticket on the window-shield.
"Yo, Slim?" Someone called out for him as he popped the locks and grabbed for his backwoods. Some youngin' with dreads gave him a sheepish look, while Slim came to the sidewalk and dapped him up. I slid into the car that was damn near too tiny for my tall ass.

Slim started up the car waiting for it to turn off before pulling out at almost 60, "We gotta stop by Sekou' before I take you back up to Vaughn's."
"Nah, I'm straight."
Slim sucked his teeth, "Its gon be quick as fuck, nigga."
"I don't give a fuck." Slim blared the music while speeding through the hood, I opened my thread with Nova as we texted back and forth. She was just getting off of work herself and running her little errands she was doing. Slim was acquainted with her friend at the party and we exchanged numbers. We've been talking since then, she was chill as hell and stayed lowkey. Also she was fine as hell.

"You talking to Nova? I don't even know why I'm asking like I don't already know." I didn't even respond as Slim's car came to a halt. "Oh fuck no!" Glancing up and seeing that Monique, Slim's on again and off again girlfriend was standing on the lawn with an attitude(per usual). "What this girl want now?"

"Y'all on or off right now?"
"Off. I'm about to pull out."
"You should've pulled out of her."
"Hardy har har, muthafucka." Slim cut off the engine while I jumped out of the car with a huge grin.

"What's up, Mo?" She smiled back and gave me a huge hug. I could hear Slim cursing beneath his breath behind me.
"Hey, Jah." I let her go and headed towards the door where Emerson was standing being nosy as hell.
"Girl, what is you doing?" I mushed her head as she shooed my hand away and hugged me sideways.
"Watching Nathaniel get chewed out." She planted herself on the porch with a satisfied grin.

Nathaniel and Monique began to argue back and forth as they often did. "They so damn irritating." Faythe rolled her eyes, posted in the doorway. I shook my head leaning against the front of the house watching the two.

"You keep raising your voice at me like I won't have my cousin beat ya ass, Nathaniel." Monique pointed at Slim with her long nails, standing much shorter than him.
"Fucking do it then! I'll spray them bitches." She cut her eyes at him and her light skin grew red.
"You irritate the fuck out of me and out here with all these broads like you not in a whole ass relationship."
"Did you not fucking break up with me, Monique or not?"
"Because I was fucking mad!"
"You always fucking mad!"
"Because of ya dumb ass!" He licked over his lips and grabbed her by her neck and tongue her down.

"Ew!" Faythe, Emerson and I all said in unison looking at them in disgust.
"Come on, E. We about to go get some frozen yogurt. You wanna come too, Jahani?"
"Yeah." I glanced over at Monique and Slim to see them way too preoccupied. Emerson grinned and ran towards Faythe' Honda Accord.

"Can I get the aux, Faythe?" She handed her back her phone as we pulled off. I opened my thread with Nova again as we went back and forth as we talked about our days and getting to know each other.

"How long you watching her for?" I asked Faythe out of curiosity.
"Um, until 9 or something that's when Ms. Lorenz gets off. And knowing Slim he going to be most likely out all night or busy."
"Damn."
"You work today?"
"Yeah, from 6 to 3 then I go back from 11 to 7."
"Vaughn got you working."
"The checks be looking nice though, besides I need the money."
"Still when you have time for yourself or having fun."
"I'll have fun when I'm settled." She shook her head and pulled into the lot of Sugar Berry.

"Imma get everything." Emerson jumped out as Faythe followed closely behind her, I held the door open for the two.
"Girl, don't get too much. You know you're lactose intolerant." She shrugged while filling her cup with vanilla frozen yogurt and taking it to the lady to load it up with candy and cookies.
When we got our frozen yogurt to the cashier to get weighed, I began pulling out my wallet while Faythe was getting ready to grab her card from the inside of her phone. "What you doing?" She cocked her head at me when I pulled out the cash to pay.
"Paying, y'all go and pick a table." She looked at me before leading Emerson toward a table.

"You want your receipt?" The cashier asked.
"Nah, I'm good." I went to the table they sat at near the window.
"Thanks Jahani," Emerson ate her frozen yogurt.
"You welcome, lil mamas."
"You should've brought, Aoki?"
"Yeah, he prolly running around with his little friends and shit." I grabbed for my phone that was buzzing. I smiled wide when I saw that it was Nova, replying and locking my phone again to look up at Faythe looking at me.

"Who got you cheesing?" I chuckled and ate my frozen yogurt in silence. "Oh, now you can't speak?"
"It ain't even like that, she's just cool people." She nodded.
"Must be, cause your mean ass don't talk to nobody."
"It ain't even talking talking."
"Mhm."
"I'm deadass, we just friends."
"You don't even have those."
I smacked my teeth, "Ain't you my friend motherfucker?"

"Tuh, barely. You just started messing with me."
"Whatever, Emerson my best friend."
"Facts," We did our little handshake as Faythe rolled her eyes.