"WINDOW SHOPPER"

JAHANI.

I had been on the seventh hour of my eight hour shift while standing bored at the register until the door swung open. Looking up to see a brown skin beauty with thick hips and licking on her lips, when she met my eyes she simply grinned. "What's up shorty?" I couldn't hold back how hard I was smiling, I low-key felt like a bitch but I didn't even give a damn.
"Just came to see what you was up to and I was craving some pineapple soda." Nova shrugged coming around to give me a half hug. Sheepishly smiling while pushing her hair behind her ear that was wild and curly framing her chubby face.

"When you out?" She asked avoiding looking up at me.
"About an hour."
"Hm? You wanna chill afterwards?"
"What you got in mind?" I pulled at the hairs on my chin looking her up and down.
She sucked her teeth, "Nothing like that, just go out somewhere ion know."
"Alright, I'm down." I grabbed at her hand to look at the ring on her ring finger. "What's that?"

"Promise ring." I nodded.
"From who? Ya other boyfriend?"
"I don't have no other boyfriend. It's from my brother."
"I ain't know you had a brother." She shrugged.
"You didn't ask."
"That your only sibling?"
"That I claim." She rolled her eyes slightly and removed her hand from mine while looking up at me. "What about you? You got brothers or sisters?"

"A little brother."
"Awe, how old?"
"11." She smiled.

A few other customers began making their way to the register so I let Nova go back and get her soda. "Can I get two packs of Marlboros?" A customer asked while digging in his pockets for cash. As he counted out his money I looked up in the aisles seeing Nova looking through the snacks, chewing on her gum and popping it. She glanced up at me when she caught me staring and wiggled her eyebrows, I did it back and she smiled.

Handling the small line that formed by the time that Nova got back in line. "Find what you was looking for?"
"Yep!"
"So what we finna do on this little chill date you planning?"
"I got a few ideas." She rubbed her hands together like BirdMan and grabbed for her cardholder in her back pocket.
"Make it good, I ain't never been on a date before."

"Forreal?"
"Deadass, girls just be trying to sex me never tryna wine and dine ya boy."
"Oh really? How many girls you done sexed?" She gave me a quizzical look while swiping her card.
"Three. What about you?" I looked her over and she grew bright red.
"Umm..."
"You a virgin? That ain't shit to be embarrassed about, keep that shit not too many do. When you're ready, you're ready. Not shit you missing, shorty." Nova eased and smiled softly.

"Thank you, I'll see you later. Want me to pick you up?" I gave her a nod. "Alright text me." She pushed through the door and switched away into the night.

Licking over my lips and grinning widely.

NOVA.

"Where you about to go?" Caio asked while slouching on the sofa scrolling through his phone.
"To go and mind my business." He screwed his face up at me and I stuck my tongue out at him. Sliding my feet into my all white Nike Air Forces while looking over myself in the mirror by the door. Since it was late in the night and summer nights were chilly I had on Black windbreaker pants, a white crop top and an oversized denim jacket.
"You don't go no business."
"Yes. I do." I rolled my eyes, applying my lipgloss when Caio snuck up on me mushing my head. "Bitch." I sucked my teeth.

"Watch y'all mouths!" Nana yelled from the kitchen, slapping her spatula against the counter.
"Who you trying to be a whore for?" Caio cackled making me twist my face up.
"You disgust me! Don't you got something to be doing?"
"Don't worry about what I got going on, jit."
"Who you talking to?" I shoved him, snatching open the front door before he could get me back. Laughing on the porch as he bucked at me before grabbing his iPhone X and nine off the coffee table, I watched as he strapped the nine on his hip and pull down his white tee. He hopped off the porch and walked beside me while his phone was going off.