30|BROKEN CLOCKS.

JAHANI.

Time seemed to be my only enemy as there was so much to do but not enough time to do any of it. Through my eyelashes I glared at the time in the corner of the MacBook it'd been going on three in the morning-licking over my lips while continuing to finish the essay I needed to have done hours ago. With my birthday weekend taking over the time I planned on dedicating to all of the homework I had.

"You still up?" Nova yawned in the doorway of the bedroom, knitting her eyebrows. Licking my bottom lip while giving a lazy nod. Along with homework I'd been messing with some beats I planned on producing, music has always been something that my interest lied in but I didn't tell too many people about it. If they don't know your dreams then they can't shoot them down.
"Yeah, I'm straight though." She pulled her silk robe closer to her brown skin radiating in the moonlight, making her way over to me on the other side of the sofa. While I was here I'd been spending time at her Nana's house sleeping on the couch because her family wasn't having that in the same bedroom shit. If they only knew.

"Please. You look exhausted, that's not good Hani. Since we got back this morning you've been working nonstop." Not even pulling my eyes away from the laptop screen that felt like it was merging into one.
"Mhm, I gotta get this shit done." Nova sighed, rolling her eyes.
"Ok, I love you." She licked the side of my neck seductively.
"Ooh girl, quit playing I'll freak you all over this sofa." She giggled before stroking the side of my neck with he warm hands and kissing the corner of my lips. "I love you."
"Goodnight baby," Nova got off of the couch to go towards her bedroom. "Get sleep!" She yelled before closing the door.

That didn't end up happening I was still up working when she came out of her bedroom dressed and ready to start her day. She looked damn good too one of my white button ups sliding off of her shoulder, tight blue jeans, patent leather boots and her hair slicked behind her ears and bone straight. "I know you not still up." She sucked her teeth, piercing her eyes at me.
"Yeah, I had to get these essays done and other work for my classes." Nova sighed and closed the top to her water. "Where you about to go?"
"Work and get up you're going to bed."
"I don't know who you talking to, can't be me?" I joked as she sucked her teeth, yanking me up by my wrist just as my phone rang. She released me so I was able to answer it.

"Yo," I dragged my hand down my face.
"Man, Slim just dropped a body." I knitted my eyebrows and plopped back into the sofa, exhaling sharply.
"What you mean? They got him locked up? When this shit go down?"
"Early this morning outside of the hookah lounge he said the shit was a set up, nobody's saying much since they got him sitting down with the 12s." I shook my head, rubbing my hand over the top of it. "Shits fucked B they just took his ass in like that...you know what he can get for murder, Jah? He has a daughter now and he was trying to get better." I sighed, while Nova looked at me with a quirked eyebrow.

"Who he hit?"
"Some eastside boy that's been on his ass, man about twice his size and just shot his ass outside of the club."
"Thanks for letting me know, Ace. You talk to Mo or India yet? Somebody with Ms. Gina and Em?"
"Yeah, India a hot mess right now but she's straight and Mo not picking up her phone. As far as Ms. G go she's secure you know Slim don't leave her unprotected." Nodding slowly as I ran a hand down my face. Nova was mouthing to me questions about what was going on.
"I'll swing by that way then, just make sure they good. Niggas don't rest until they got somebody head." I sighed sharply as Nova was anxiously waiting for me to tell her what was going on. Ending the call as she shifted her weight to the other foot.

"What's up?" She pressed her lips together while I'd been sliding my feet into some Nike slides.
"Slim got arrested." I grumbled and made my way through the door with her hot on my trail. "They saying he murdered somebody and I'm sure they're going to dig some other shit up to pin on him. Besides Nate got a record so I know they're not going to be on his good side with this shit." We stopped in front of the drivers door to her Jeep.
"Damn, he got a lawyer yet?" I shrugged. "Well, I'll see you later. I love you and be safe, love." She kissed me repeatedly and I couldn't help the faint smile on my face. My ray of sunshine.

"You still got that appointment set?" Nova nodded with an eye roll.
"It's set for Tuesday." She sighed, playing with her fresh set of acrylics.
"Ok, when you off of work?"
"Around six or so but I'll prolly be late getting back to go and check on India." I nodded before holding the door open for her to climb inside. "Please get some rest too." She held onto the steering wheel.
"I'll try." Knowing that I most likely wasn't. Watching Novs safely pull out of the driveway before I got into my Bentley sometimes I felt self conscious whipping it around these parts. Only time you see a Bentley or any nice car is in magazines or downtown- that shit not going down on the Southside.

I flipped my iPhone that was missing it's case in my opposite palm while planning out my next moves. First thing that had to be done was checking on Mo before finding Nate an attorney. When I pulled behind her car in the driveway and seen a back of a tall, masculine figure on the porch along with her. I turned the car off and gained the attention from the two. Halting in my tracks when the familiar steel gray eyes tauntingly glared back at me. The familiarity of the stranger caused the hairs on my neck to stand, Monique's puffy eyes glanced towards me.

She sniffled and wiped her face,"Hey Jahani." Nodding quietly towards her while sizing up the stranger- who was this motherfucker? "This my cousin Marcus and this Jahani." He nodded while I wasn't even able to gather my thoughts with gunshots going off in the back. Monique quickly shuffled inside and I followed suit, her cousin walked towards his car.

"Hey little bit!" I played with Analiah exposed toes making her giggle. "You talk to him?" Monique shook her head.
"Nah, I warmed him about this shit and he's in the predicament I knew he would be." She heavily sighed. Looking up at her face to see the tears streaming down her face. "So now I'm just suppose to figure shit out on my own? I'm not working, all I got is my diploma that's not enough to get shit around here. He can't pay child support through prison or see his daughter." Monique scoffed while visibly getting angry about it. I didn't blame her for it but at the same time I hope she wasn't going to be more stress on him that needed.

"Yeah, shits going to get handled."