sᴇᴠᴇɴ

DEVI BHATT

The past is a parasite.

It plagues you when you're at your weakest and plans to ruin you.

When you finally release a breath of relief in a horror movie, that's when the scare comes, isn't it?

And you don't even see it.

Because you just want to be happy for once.

Grisha leaves the SUV first then stands outside the door holding his hand out. I slide my hand into his, exiting the car not so graciously, and I'm met by blinding lights everywhere.

The journey here must have been long because when I look around all I see is the dark night sky bejeweled with sparkly stars.

Sports cars. Every type you can think of. Jaguars, Mustangs, Porsches, you name it. The cars are in every colour you can and can't name.

Our car is just a simple black, how boring. Everyone is getting out of their cars, walking around greeting one another then heading to the building for the ball.

Grisha slides his arm around my waist, pulling me flush against him. The wind blows my hair around when I turn around to spot Sasha, but I think she's already gone in.

His chin touches my forehead lightly when he looks down to look at my shivering body. The shaved hairs on my arm are beginning to regrow just so they can stand on my arm to keep me warm. Loyal nuisances.

With all these fancy ass cars you'd think they would have good heating in the building.

We walk into the building, which is lit with dark lights to set the mood. The volume of talking has decreased tremendously. Walking past the lobby, we head into the large ball room. Circular tables are placed around the edges, the centre saved for the incoming entertainment. Waiters walk around with trays of refreshments, offering a range of drinks and canapes to the guests.

I spot a dark-haired woman dressed in a sleek red velvet backless dress, talking, and excessively flirting with a blonde man next to her. He leans in and kisses both cheeks, bidding her goodbye before walking away.

Another man seems to catch her eye too but when she sees us, her eyes light up and she waves us over excitedly forgetting the man.

"My goodness, he was French, and boy do they know how to ki-"

"Mother, this is my girlfriend, Devi. And I'd prefer if you wouldn't talk about your romantic rendezvous with me." And my jaw nearly falls off.

If that's his mother, I should be a grandmother by now. Not a glimpse of her motherly age is visible on her face. No signs of aging, just pure youth.

I swallow my gasp and clear all my other prudish judgements I made about this woman in the last sixty seconds before I talk.

"Hello, I'm Devi it's lovely to meet you Mrs Petrov," am I supposed to call her Miss since her husband died? Oh shit I don't know.

I hold my hand out with a confident smile, for her to shake.

She gasps happily and pulls me in for a tight hug, "o Bozhe, I've finally met the girl who's swept my son under his feet. You are absolutely beautiful," she gushes. (Oh my god)

"Tha-"

She pulls away from our hug, "Oh and call me Mali, honey. I can't wait to talk to you and find out every detail about you."

"I look forward to it," I laugh lightly. "Happy birthday," I almost forgot to say that oh my god.

"Thank you, Devi honey," she says, with her eyes really dilated before turning to Grisha. "Ty ne skazal mne, chto ona britanka, Grisha. YA by dobavil v menyu chay i pechen'ye," she says regretfully. (You didn't tell me she was British, Grisha. I would have added tea and biscuits to the menu.)