sɪxᴛʏ ᴛᴡᴏ

I also want to add out of the woods by Taylor Swift to this chapter-kinda suits the end of this ch? Also sometimes i remember how a story written in the first person can be unreliable...

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

without further adieu, I present to you the next chapter...

DEVI BHATT

Rain droplets pelt the window, tipping it down as a clap of thunder echoes through the sky. Then lightning tears across the sky, the sight of millisecond jagged line engraving inside of my mind.

A thunderstorm.

A shiver wracks through me, tightening the feeling in my chest. He stirs behind me, feeling it.

One of his arms is wrapped around my waist, fingers brushing my side when they twitch. The other arm is stretched out across my pillow for me to rest my head on, which I have for the entire night.

I don't know why he's here. I do know why he's here– but I don't know why. Why is he staying?

I heard the doctor tell him about what I have. HSV-2. I don't like to think about it. It only makes myself even more unbearable.

He hasn't treated me any differently since the discovery– in fact, he's around me even more, when I thought it would be the opposite. I've seen the way partners react in the emergency room when they discover their partner has contracted something and it's not heartwarming in the slightest.

Stiff as a board, her words repeat in my mind.

You deserved it.
Getting what you want by opening those legs of yours.
It was a consequence of your actions.

He's in my bed. I let him in my bed.

Last night, I realised he still hasn't asked me what happened that night with his father because he wasn't present for the simulation. I told him faintly about the self-defence but I'm unsure as to whether that's enough.

I don't normally. But then he started to say that sleeping with me makes him sleep better.

Amelie's words have slid around my spine like a snake, and sunk their spiteful fangs into my mind. I feel poisoned.

I've felt poisoned for a long time, and for some reason, I keep refusing the antidote.

My antidote groans softly behind me, into my hair. It reverberates across my skin, making my body relax and sink into his embrace. The blanket of safety his warmth gives envelopes me. Begrudgingly, I sink into the mattress, trying to let sleep override my senses.

You deserved it.
Getting what you want by opening those legs of yours.
It was a consequence of your actions.

I want him to leave suddenly. Maybe then, the thoughts will stop.

When his nose brushes behind my ear, my intention to get him to leave explodes inside of my chest into a million little pieces. I frown at the sensation, pressing my lips into a firm line.

There's another roar of thunder, accompanied by a white flash of lightning.

I jump, my fingers accidentally brushing the muscular forearm pressed wrapped around my stomach.

"Ne mozhesh' spat'?" he says behind me in a quiet sleepy voice. (can't sleep?)

My throat is dry and sore. "Nyet," I rasp.