# bonus

SCENE: Zara, their cat, is confirmed to be preggers. 1.3k words. (aka short)

...

DEVI BHATT

Grisha's brows are furrowed and deep with concern as the vet clinician opens the carrier, letting Zara, our cat, out to check on her. He has been worried about her since he thinks her behaviour has changed. Everything from weight and diet to her mood.

"She hissed at me," he says, his face pained.

I fight back a smile. "She might not have liked the way you were stroking her, it's fine. She still loves you."

"But I was giving her a normal chin scratch, which she loves. And you know Zara, she loves us and I've never heard her hiss. She doesn't even hiss at Khami for god sake and that is something," he stresses, pacing in our room at the end of our bed. "And have you seen her? Have we been overfeeding her? I was researching and fat cats can get arthritis– fuck– she's too young for that."

My eyes widen and I release a loud laugh. "Fat? Zara is not fat, Grisha. I'm sure it's nothing and she's just a growing girl."

There's a meow at the door.

"Speak of the devil," I smile at Grisha.

He swallows as Zara walks towards him. He picks her up, showing me her lean black body.

"Baby, look at her," he says.

Squinting my eyes, I spot a few things on her rounding belly and I hide my knowing smile. Oh, this is good. This is gold. This is hilarious. But I won't tell him yet. Instead I feign shock and worry.

"Maybe you should book her a vet appointment," I suggest and his face visibly pales.

"Fuck," he swears then turns Zara around so they're face to face. "Don't die."

Zara bites his nose lightly with a quiet mewl. Grisha puts her down on the bed and she comes walking to me, burrowing his head in my armpit like a weirdo. I stroke her stomach slowly and get my confirmation. Well– not confirmation– but a very likely answer.

Our baby girl is pregnant.

Grisha stares down our vet as he handles our cat. Standing tall with his legs apart and arms folded, he towers over the vet and his assistant. I swear the assistant won't even look him in the eye and the main vet looks like he couldn't get any paler.

"Careful," Grisha warns, as Zara wriggles in their grasp.

Feliks snickers beside me. "Never seen him so caught up over pussy," he whispers.

"Well, besides yours," Nashwa finishes, with a cheeky giggle.

My jaw drops and my head snaps to them. "You did not just say that."

"We were all thinking about it," Feliks says. "Well, not what Nashwa said though."

He hooks a friendly arm around her neck, making her black hair cover her face. She laughs elbowing him in the ribs.

"What did you say you noticed about her again?" the vet asks.

"Weight gain, she's sleeping a lot more, she even threw up in the morning the other day and..." he pauses, as if trying to hide his hurt. I rub his arm encouragingly. "She hissed at me."

I can tell that both, the vet and his assistant want to give him a the fuck look. All cats hiss. It just happens that our cat is highly docile and so Grisha took offence to this.