sᴇᴠᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛᴡᴏ

read. comment. vote. 

without further adieu, I present to you the next chapter

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

DEVI BHATT

Blood has gotten in my eyes. Kai's blood.

There's a pool of it on the floor.

My eyes are wide, as I choke on air, feeling my throat and lungs constrict from witnessing Kai getting shot in the head right in front of me. And I didn't do anything to stop it. I'm frozen in one spot, unable to move, to free myself from the shock-induced paralysis.

"Fuck– Devi, breathe," Grisha is right beside me, then in front of me blocking the view of Kai's dead body. Breathe? I didn't even realise how fast I'm breathing, the way my chest burns painfully.

My hand shakes, as I point to Kai, "he just– he just– they just killed him and I– I couldn't do a-anything or a single thing. I was just s-stood there, " I gasp for air as I speak, "He's not the traitor. and the last memory we gave him was us believing he was the traitor."

The sound of the bullet piercing his skull echoes in my head over and over again. The way his eyes froze as the light left them is stained in my mind. The hurt in his eyes. His lifeless body falling to the floor.

We failed him.

And I can't forget it.

A sob erupts from my throat. With one hand in my hair, Grisha pulls me into his neck.

"It's okay," he says, his voice wavering with an uncomfortable tightness.

"The last thing he saw..." my voice wobbles and is muffled as I repeat, "his last memory was his family doubting him. His loyalty."

So much regret. So much fucking regret. I feel like I'm bathing in it.

I press my earpiece, and whisper, "Kai was shot in the head. He's dead."

"We think it was a sniper," Grisha says, making me stiffen.

Slowly I look around, out of the windows for any unusual objects or movement.

"We're going to fucking kill them," Sasha says.

"All of them," Santos speaks.

"And watch them all burn," Pasha says.

We're going to make it goddamn hurt.

I stare at his lifeless body and the growing puddle of blood around his head. His killer is still out there, living.

My fingers curl tightly around my knives and I grab a gun off the floor, making sure the safety is turned off. The enemy is still here, creeping around.

"How many Italians are left?" I ask.

Right on cue, shouts and cars are heard to be pulling up. We run to the window and see dozens of cars driving up the country road, far away but still so close.

Shit.

"Fuck," Grisha curses then leaves the room and starts giving out orders, "I want two men stationed at each window, ready to shoot when they're in range. Engage them–"

"Where is Luca?" I ask suddenly, realising he's nowhere to be seen.

"Right here actually."

I turn to find Luca in the doorway. My first instinct is to kill him but I hesitate when he looks up at his father. I raise my gun slowly.