ᴛᴇɴ

I did end up switching back to the old cover because i just liked the colour scheme ngl. Anyways, here is chapter ten...

DEVI BHATT

The darkness wraps around me like a blanket I'm beginning to find warmth and comfort in as I descend the creaking ladder.

Have you ever thought, what if you're the person you don't want to be around. Every second, minute, hour of everyday we live inside our minds and are consumed with thoughts.

I once read, your mind is a place you live in for eternity, so you may as well make it a comfortable place, no matter how few bulbs there are.

My legs tremble with each step causing the ladder to rattle. I can't hear the beating sound of the Italians' helicopter anymore. It should bring me comfort that they've gone, that we're safe, hidden away in Grisha's place. But the eerily quiet atmosphere does the exact opposite. My hairs are raised, on edge, with each inhale and exhale.

A dull ache is flaring all over my body but I tell myself, just a little longer. The back of my dress is ripped and scratched up totally with some red stains. So much for my first ever gala, am I right?

Grisha is grunting and huffing with each step he takes. He keeps pausing and wiping his face in a poor manner. Alongside with his heavy breathing I think the glass in his hair is causing him discomfort. When we reach the bottom- or if we ever do, I'll make sure to take them out. The reason why I was hired.

I have sticky hands which aren't good for this descent. One wrong slight of the hand and I fall into this black chasm. When I feel myself get into the pattern of these steps, I begin to go down faster and more smoothly with a sense of nonchalance.

"Stop here," Grisha says tersely. For some reason, I don't listen.

"Stop here." His voice makes me almost jump out of my bones. My momentum is lost by a sharp piece of glass falling and piercing into my skin and I lose grip. I hear the sound of glass shattering- we must be close. My feet realise why he said it first.

When I lower my feet to feel for the next step , there is none. I let out a petrified scream as I feel my stomach turn inside out from the sensation of falling.

I should've fetched my shoes, but someone had put us in a time restraint.

Suddenly there's a hand around my wrist holding me tightly. Like their life depended on it. "Fuck," Grisha mutters.

"I'm okay," I say with flighty eyes. The sound of my voice ripples down the tunnel.

"No you're not. The glass in my hair is falling onto you."

"It's not your fault," I assure him whilst taking hold of the ladder again. "Why have the steps stopped here?" I whisper shout at him with panic building in me. If he says we're gonna jump, I might as well walk back up and surrender myself to Ares.

"You'll see," he replies with a lighter voice. I look up to see him press a button in front of him on the wall. He looks down to me, meeting my eyes and says, "hold on tight."

The next thing I know is that we're falling. Or moving, I'm not sure but it all feels the same. Absolutely terrifying. I'm not good with heights.

My hand latches onto Grisha's shoe above as I let out another ear splitting scream.

"Get off my shoe," his voice is almost audible over the noise. Then he has the nerve to try and shake my hand off. Bastard.

"Don't you dare do that or i'm going to fall and die," my eyes are wide as saucers and my hair is blown up, dancing above my head like a halo.