sᴇᴠᴇɴᴛʏ ғᴏᴜʀ

read. comment. vote. 

without further adieu, I present to you the next chapter

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

DEVI BHATT

When we arrive at the mansion, Grisha's men are sorting out the bodies ready to cover this whole fiasco up. The bodies have been carried out, a tight lump forming in my throat upon witnessing it. The slow downpour of rain down my body cleanses me as it soaks through my clothes and soaks my hair.

I can feel everything in my mind going quiet. The outside too.

I see Thomas being carried away into one of the SUVs.

I watch Grisha talk, discuss and instruct. Him and Gio wear their serious business faces. I watch from afar, sitting on the hood of the Aventador I drove. I spot Pasha walking towards them, concealing his pain-stricken eyes. I've heard losing a twin is like losing half of yourself because they are your other half.

When I look up, the clouds have grown darker. There's another louder rumble of thunder. I close my eyes and breathe in the calming chaos of this storm, with my head in the clouds. I toilet my head back, allowing the droplets of rain to hit my face, all over my nose, forehead, chin, cheeks, neck. It almost gets into my eyes but I don't care.

Storms are good. I like storms.

I see a blur of movement in one of the windows, causing me to squint my eyes. When I continue to stare, I see nothing. It was probably just one of those eye floaters that make you think that you have special vision.

I jump when a white flash of lightning flashes before my eyes. My whole body jumps. That strike... it was pretty close to us. It was really fucking close. Worry sprouts in me. Looking up at the house, I feel the dread piling inside of me. Why do I feel like the next strike is going to...

I'm walking towards Grisha, between the crowds of mafia men that separate us.

"What's wrong?" He asks, dipping his head to mine, concern in his eyes that scan my face.

"The storm is really close, Grisha. We need to move. Somethings telling me the next time lightning strikes it's going to be–

It hits.

I'm blinded. Flying through the air, my body lands in a soft patch of grass nearby.

But I heard a scream. A girl's scream from the inside. The girl from the yacht. My stomach falls at the realisation– how could I possibly have forgotten her?

I sit up rapidly, my vision spinning and black dots appearing in my vision. My ears are ringing loud and my head is pounding violently. Grey eyes appear in front of me, hands cup my face and his lips are moving. Hands roaming my face, scanning for injuries as he asks if I'm okay.

"The girl,'' I choke out, "I don't know how but she's in there. We need to get her. Grisha we need to go back and get her–"

"That's impossible," shock spreads across his features in disbelief, "My men searched it top to bottom."

"No," I falter. "I heard a scream. Her scream."

"That was your scream, Devi."

"What?" I whisper. "That ca–can't have been..." I trail off, taking in the scorching sight before me.

The house is engulfed in flames. Not fully engulfed, but it's spreading fast. The roof is ablaze and the flames are emerging from the windows one by one. The roof is crumbling.