ғᴏᴜʀᴛʏ ɴɪɴᴇ

I also forgot to mention in the last chapter, but if you have made it this far welldoneee you have officially read over 500 pages <3

without further adieu, here is the next chapter...

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

DEVI BHATT

My stomach drops and I'm about to retch as I realise what they're auctioning off. Or who.

Me.

I tug on my restraints harder.

They're holding an auction– an auction, for me. They've held a whole fucking party and I'm the entertainment. They've held an entire feast and I'm the main course. I've been led here like I'm an animal at a slaughterhouse.

I panic. I can't concentrate or breathe as I stare at everyone who stares at me back.

"What are you doing?" I hiss at Luca.

"There were always going to consequences, Devi," he grasps my chin affectionately, making my skin crawl. One half of his face is still ruined by what I did to him in Abu Dhabi with the wire.

Suddenly there's a shout from a bidder. My stomach rolls from the nausea. I can't stand the thought of being sold. I don't think anyone would be able to.

Just months ago I was happily living with my parents thinking my life was boring. I wanted some excitement– I wanted the thrill back. I forgot this came with it. The actual, real life fucking danger. My childhood self is and was so wrong. I was and still am so immature– like I haven't been given a chance to goddamn grow up yet.

A middle aged man with a pot belly rises from his seat. "One hundred and fifty thousand dollars!"

A wide grin spreads across Luca's face and I swear I see a victorious sparkle in his eye.

"I think we can get higher," he says at a volume that only I can hear. "I'm sure once they see what other talents you have, they'll see your worth."

"How could you do this?" I grit my teeth. "You were the only good one."

"You left me," he says sharply, "I didn't think you'd care." He turns back to the audience. "We have our first bid– One hundred and fifty thousand dollars to the French! Do we have anyone for two hundred thousand?"

You left me.

I repeat the words in my head until I understand. Is he being serious? He holds a grudge against me?!

I scoff, my voice wavering as I speak. "You're bitter about that. You selfish prick. I can't believe I thought you might have an ounce of goodness in you–"

"Whatever makes you think I'm good?" Luca interrupts me with a growl.

"That day," I swallow nervously, "at the abandoned building you woke him up before I shot him so he could roll away."

"And how would I do that?" his eyes burn into me.

"You had that strong smelling substance when we were teenagers. I used it on you one time."

He looks me up and down, blankly.

"Why?" I whisper. "Why did you do that?"

He doesn't give me a response.

Another man stands up interrupting me. "Two hundred and ten thousand dollars!"

My ears are ringing with how much jeopardy I'm in. I physically cannot go and be sold to any of these people without already worsening my fate.