Chapter Twenty-Four: Second Chances

**********************"Y'all," Kourtney exclaims, running backstage, "Ricky's transformation

"Y'all," Kourtney exclaims, running backstage, "Ricky's transformation.." She trails.

"How did it look?" I question, as we all anxiously await her response.

"Honestly.." She pauses for the dramatic, sharing a smile with Ricky, "Passable!" She beams, and we cheer.

"Give it up for our leading lady!" I announce as Ashlyn walks in.

As we cheer for her, she grins and chuckles appreciatively, "Aw, you guys! Oh, has anyone seen my boyfriend? It feels like I've been missing him all night."

Carlos shrugs, "I think he pushed himself a little hard."

"But," Ricky starts, with a teasing smile, "I'm pretty sure he left a letter at your locker."

"Uh, a couple letters, actually." EJ adds, with the same teasing smile.

"Oh, okay, wow, that's sweet." Ashlyn masks her worry with a grin, glancing down, "Um, maybe I'll read them on the way to Slices. Good show everyone." Her tone was weak.

All of us shared a nervous grin, feeling bad that she was so down, but knowing how happy she was going to be when she found out why Big Red was so absent all night, would be worth it.

We all gathered in the doorway, admiring the couple, while watching their sweet moment when Big Red shared the sign he made for her: Ashlyn's name in lights, the project he was working on all night.

"Big Red isn't the only one who pushed themselves too far." I start, following Carlos backstage.

He huffs a laugh, "I know."

"This is the most you've spoken all weekend." I tease.

"Not a word would need be spoken." He quotes If Only, and winks.

I chuckle gently, squeezing his shoulder, "Well, I've missed you."

"Not too much, hopefully." He wiggles his brows teasingly.

I tilt my head in curiosity while confusion crosses my face, "What does that mean?"

"Because of Ricky!" He beams.

I playfully shake my head in shame, scoffing a laugh, "Oh, right. I'll explain all that later."

Carlos sighs in relief, clapping in excitement, "I'm just so happy he told you he feels the same way."

My face fell, "What?"

Confusion crossed his face, with a gentle laugh, "What?" He was confused as to why I was.

"What do you mean?" I blurt.

Shock shadows his features, but before he could speak, my family approached, dressed to the nines; my brother is sporting a dark green, linen shirt, with matching pants. My sister-in-law is rocking a sunflower print, slip dress. And my mother looks gorgeous in a dusty rose, Kelsey wrap dress, with Mr. Mazzara in a suit beside her.