ONE

AUDREY

Momentary silence surrounds me as I look out the atmosphere, holding the light curtain in such a way that it does not completely obsecure my face. The warm breeze touches my cheek. I am standing close to the window humming a song. The room is eerily quiet.

Isn't it strange? Last time I checked people used to live here. I wear my fluffy bedroom slippers. Taking a last glance, i saunter out the room, stepping into a vast hallway.

There are about 300 hundred rooms in total and I am on the first floor. The hallway's dark marbled floors and white walls, not a hand print or scuff mark anywhere. The doors a glossy black, numbered with silver digits that match the globe shaped handles.

Six girls of identical height are seated on the staircase, each of them holding a large hardcover. The textbooks are strewn on the floor and left half open. Instead of reading, they are engrossed in a juicy topic. From the looks of it, they are from the lower clases.

"If you see her guy!" One of the girls demonstrate moving her hands back and forth which such emphasis.

Her friends gasps disbelieving.

"Diana I said it!"The second girl claps excitedly. She glances around before adding,

"And she's not even beautiful.

"How is that possible?"The third girl asks rhetorically, her arms akimbo.

Diana shrugs opening her book,"If you ask me na who I go ask?"

"Ahhhhhhhhh wonders will never end o."The fourth one sighs.

The fifth girl's lips part in displeasure,"But come to think of it. Isn't it suspicious?

"Me I don't know o. But it's like you people are really prepared for this test tomorrow. We have been here for over two hours and what have we achieved? Nothing. Idara I thought Tonya was your best friend. Why are you saying such mean things about her?"

"Who is this?"

"Abeg don't mind her. Better person talk jare."

They are seated on the stair case, the last girl standing close to the railing that there is not a single air space. It is impossible to go downstairs without passing that route.

I clear my throat abruptly.

"Can you excuse me?"

Diana rises but her words come out muffled, that it is impossible for me to hear her private expression of discontent. Their hooded eyes stare like an hawk scrutinizing me from head to toe. From my short hair to my navy blue and white uniform, down to my unpainted toes and back to my head. When I walk out of their vicinity they resume their chatter.

"Pawn take Knight!"a shrill voice calls out.

About six to eight girls are seated on a floor rug watching two paticipants as the second girl thinks meditatively before moving her pawn a step forward.

An enticing aroma fills the staircase and I sniff appreciatively. Wafting through such redolence, that I lick my lips absentmindedly. Mirabelle is making one of her treats.

I step into the kitchen. It is filled to the peak that it is impossible to tell who is who.

"Hey Audrey!"

I turn.

"Over here!"

Jane is sitting on a low stool slicing carrots and green peppers. Her hair neatly tied in a turban.

"Hey Jane. Have you seen my friends?"

Rejoice shrugs scraping the carrots, "Maybe you should check the other side."