Thirty one

Previously on her silence
"Does everyone understand?"
"Yes." We chorused.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Ru..
"How do you know I can't speak?"Abi paused.

I shrugged, "The first word your mom said when you stepped out of the car was to make new friends and not let your speech inability be an hindrance. I picked that up"

"Do you know what's going on!? Why does this person want to kill Ruby!" Victor yelled.

Jeez. I forgot he was still on the call.

Abi chuckled lightly, "She doesn't want to kill Ruby or never wanted to originally."

She covered the mouthpiece with her hands and mouthed, "Can I trust him?"

I nodded.

"It happened when I was young. This strange lady killed my dad. I think she was in love with him or obsessed. I can't remember much but I know I was her main target and my dad got in the way. My mom had to hide me, keep me homeschooled, for me to be safe. We changed locations every year. I guess she was stalking us and now I'm out of the house. She can finally kill me."

"In Nigeria? People actually kill for love?" I shuddered.

Victor hummed for a while before saying, "shouldn't you tell your mom or the police?"

" My mom? It'd only mean moving away again. I'm just going to run away forever and the police are pretty much useless."

I walked close to Abi and held her hands, "isn't it better than dying?"

"I've lived my life in solitary confinement and I can tell you there's no difference between that and dying. By now Roquelle should know that we're on to her. She won't do anything stupid. She'd probably be waiting for a time when we would not expect and strike."

"So what's the plan?" Victor asked.

Abi grinned, "It's operation kill or be killed. We have to find her first before she finds me."

"That's not Rational. Ruby I want you to get out Pronto." Victor warned.

"I'm not being Rational I'm being very realistic. If we run we'd die."

We remained silent for a while,till victor ran out of credit and promised to call back.

"Look at the time! It's already 7" Abi yawned.

"I haven't eaten all day."

The door creaked open.

Mira popped her head, " hey guys it's time for dinner."

"Finally." Abi hopped off the bed.

"Is Ruby friend or foe? I'm confused" Judy asked when I walked out hand in hand with Abi.

Vera took a look at us and pronounced,
"Frenemy."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••