Five

Previously on her silence..

"Good day class, I have good news. An impromptu test. So bring out a pen and a paper."

I reach out for my bag but it isn't on the chair.

Then it hit me!

My bag was gone.

I glance at my friends. They are so preoccupied with arranging their materials that no one spares me a glance.

Well I might have underestimated Ruby. She has done her worst.

*****************************

"Did I mention that this test makes up fifty percentage of your grades this term?"

Fifty percentage!

"No you didn't."

"Well I just did,So I want you all to write an essay about why you want to remain in this school" Mrs Rona snaps bringing out a plate of fruits and selecting an apple.

"Mam i don't understand what's going on?"A girl demands.

Essay about why I want to remain in this school? Is it for a competition

The noise resumes.

"Keep quiet!"Mrs Rona orders and the calmness of the class is restored. She pops the apple in her mouth and chews slowly.

"This is Incredible! How can a single test be responsible for 50 percentage of our grades?"
Disemi asks.

Atta girl! Our lawyer

Ruby was nice to me earlier because she knew this test was important and that was not Harry. It was her stupid Shadow stealing my bag when I was distracted not like any of that matters now.

How can I write an essay when I'm this disorganized!

"Is there a time limit for this quiz?"Tori asks raising her head from her table.

"Of course"Miss Rona snorts.

"Time limit. Fifty percentage. You're not serious!"A sharp voice yells.

"You don't really know what's happening?" She stares at Vera pointedly.

Vera glares away her eyes refusing to meet hers.

What's happening?

Does Vera know about this?

Why can't she look Mrs Rona in the eyes?

And most importantly. WHAT'S GOING ON??

"We don't"Somto replies in an angry tone.

God bless you my dear.

"Why the news was supposed to be given to you girls by the director himself....."

News ke? Which director? The one they said went on business trip two months ago?

That makes up fifty percentage?

Me that does not know how to write more than 450 words. Hehehe

"I feel like if someone does not tell me what's going on my head is going to explode"Xen screams.

"Well it is news"Miss Rona says sadly.

"What news?"Vera and Judy ask in unison.

If Vera doesn't know about the news then why was.....

"The school is going to be shut down because of financial issues"Mrs Rons states flatly.

"What! It's not even possible!"

"Issalie!"

"These people better be joking?"

"Financial. I have about three hundred questions none relating in any way to your present statement."

"I was kukuma tired of this school before."

The class is even in more disorder with everyone talking simultaneously

"what!!! How is that humanly possible?"Xen explodes.

"I am not supposed to be telling you kids this. But I do believe you deserve to know. It all started three months when some men came... They asked to see the director. The director spent over six hours with them and by the time they left he was greatly agitated. Somehow this school is plunged in debt... I don't know how but he's owing last I heard twenty four million. The bank would soon repossess this property and demolish it. They plan to make a permanent infrastructure. After much deliberation, the director has made some arrangements for some of the students here to be transferred to a boy's only school.(by this time the class is very noisy.) Yes you heard me right Boy's only. I don't know how he plans to achieve it but he has a agreement with the principal. Some said It was through blackmail.. some said he begged. some said it was a command I don't know who to believe anymore but the thing was that she has agreed to take 50 percentage of the best students here to her school.
Yes the rest of una wey no know book go find another school. Since her school is already populated she could only afford to take in fifty percentage. Then of course she'd have to reduce her school population too, but that's not the major concern. This test determines your fate. I don't know why but I was asked to give you this test. But I was. I will only be allowed to pick 50 percentage and the rest students will be Expelled. Don't get me wrong you'll still write your exams for the other subjects. But you'll be fighting for just that 50 percentage. So in other words this test na the Koko.

The result for the quiz will be based purely on merit. It doesn't matter if you're my tribe here or my sister's daughter if you fail you fail so put your life into writing. Okay?"She concludes.

The class is suddenly quiet after her speech. The amount of shock that we're in after this revelation has blocked our vocal cords that we cannot even express ourself anymore. We just stare dumbfounded.

Owing twenty four million
He never went on any stupid business trip. Guy has been Running away.
Girls from only Girls school admitted to Boy's only school. Something fishy going on. Something is seriously fishy. Ah ah
Omo!!

"How can a big school like this have mismanaged funds, after all my parents spent on this school. It is simply astonishing"Ruby says walking in.

"So basically you're saying our lives on this school depends on some essay?"Xen asks unbelievably.

"Yes"Miss Rona confirms.

"On some fucking essay...why wasn't I told about this earlier. I would have read"Darla screams incredulous.

"okay kids enough with the sentiments...your
time starts now"Miss Rona says glancing at her watch.

Time starts now?

I said it that my village people are very effective but no one believed me.

Everyone is writing furiously even Ruby. Mrs Rona doesn't even glance at my direction as she is busy with her plate of fruits. I don't even know if I should remain seated or I should lay a complaint. But then I have no proof against Ruby and she'll definitely deny.

Oh God!

What do I do?

More seconds go by and I stare at my empty table feeling a lump rising in my throat....

*******
That's all for chapter five. Pheww written this. How'd you view this chapter. What's the story about a debt? What's going on??? And.....
Ok fuel has finished...

Chapter song I have Questions by Camilla cabello.

So bye, see you same time next week. Adios!