Prologue

"Callie, tapos ka na sa activities mo?" Mom asked when she entered my room.

"Yes, just checking if everything is correct." My gaze went back to the Mathematics worksheet that I was checking. I just finished checking my accountancy and business management worksheets earlier.

"That's good... By the way, your grandfather is inviting us for dinner."

My forehead creased. "Why po?" Hindi naman talaga nag-i-invite ng dinner si grandpa unless may pag-uusapan sila about sa business or may something about sa legitimate family niya.

"Apparently, Hubert just arrived with his family." My mom scoffed. I know how she resented her siblings, well, I would really hate them if I were her. They always undermine my mom when it comes to business.

I rolled my eyes. "Will Hunter be there?"

"As usual." She grimaced.

"Don't worry, mom. That's a chance for us to show grandpa that I'm a more suitable heir than Hunter." I gave her a reassuring smile.

My mom wanted to have the Montagne empire but she's an illegitimate child of my grandfather and grandfather already named Hunter as the sole heir of the Montagne empire but we know he'll fail. So, I'm here to catch the empire when that happens.

I'm an only child so I'm the only chance that my mom has to acquire that empire, I needed to do my best.

My parents are also good at training me. I attend summer classes for business and accountancy. I also attend violin and ballet classes because I needed to form the image of the perfect heiress.

I'm sure Hunter doesn't have those things but grandpa still acknowledges him more than me and my other cousins. Well, Hunter is the eldest, the golden boy, and grandpa raised him.

Mom approached me and caressed my hair. "You are a more suitable heir than Hunter, we just have to wait for him to mess up, dear."

"Or we could do something about it, right?" I asked because they always say that I am a suitable heir but nothing is happening and I'm getting impatient.

I don't believe in all-talk, if I want something I should act on it.

Mom chuckled. "Patience, dear."

"Okay." I sighed. "Anong oras po tayo aalis?"

"Pagdating ng daddy mo mamayang gabi, marami siyang inaasikaso sa business tsaka may hearing sila sa senate ngayong araw."

I frowned. "Late siya uuwi?"

Mom nodded. "Anyway, wear something elegant and classy later, nandoon si Hailey." She kissed my cheek before leaving my room.

I continued what I was doing before mom interrupted me. I need to ace these classes. I need to slap our family with my grades.