Chapter 12

I was pacing back and forth inside my room as I looked outside, the sky was bright but my emotions and feelings are the opposite of that.

I looked at my wall clock and it was only 8 in the morning, Matt told me that he'll be here by 10 AM. Am I really going to avoid him after this day?

I don't even know if I could and want to do that...

But I cannot keep doing this to myself... This unrequited feeling that I have for Matt has to stop!

I sat on the hammock of my terrace while I was waiting for Matt to arrive. Gosh! Why was this complicated? It wasn't this complicated when we were younger.

I spent my hours waiting for Matt while thinking if I should really start avoiding him because it may preserve my sanity and my heart but there's a huge possibility that at the end of all this, Matt and I would never be as close as before and that scares me.

But will I still be scared if my feelings for him faded? Probably not.

I took a deep breath when I saw Matt walking towards my house. He even waved at me with a huge smile on his face.

My breathing hitched at the sight of him but I calmed myself down. I shouldn't be like this, not towards anyone, especially my best friend.

I went inside my room and fixed myself before I went downstairs. Matt was already sitting on the living room couch while conversing with my mom. I walked quietly towards them to eavesdrop.

"So your family is really going to side with the past administration?" mom asked Matt. "Isn't it better to be connected with the current administration?"

"I'm not sure, tita, but my family had always been good friends with the former president's family." Matt shrugged. "I'm not really interested in their political talks, so I don't really know."

Mom's shoulder fell and just nodded. "Well, I hope your family still thrives after the elections, Matt."

Matt nodded and smiled. "Matagal pa naman po 'yon, tita, tsaka patapos na rin po 'yong term ni tito."

"Mom, politics again?" I asked because I know Matt and like me, he was also not interested in politics.

"I'm just asking Matteo about the rumors, the former president doesn't have a good reputation with the senators right now." Mom sighed. "Oh well, I'll leave you two to bond." She kissed my cheek before heading upstairs.

Matt had a confused look on his face while watching my mom walk away from us. "Galit ba si tita doon sa dati nating presidente?"

I shrugged because I really had no idea what goes on in their jobs but I heard before that senator Cantabria doesn't like the former president for some unknown reason.

"Maganda naman 'yong project ng dating presidente tungkol sa anti-corruption hindi puro salita lang, may mga iniimbestigahan na nga silang mga local government officials ngayon," Matt said and shrugged. "Kaya nga gusto ng pamilya ko sa kanya."