Chapter 58

"This is where the magic happens," tita said proudly and glanced at Matt who has his back on us. "Matt is the head of this department. Let's go back to the office because he doesn't like it when non-engineering staff loiters here."

I nodded at tita and took one quick look at Matt before I followed her to the office. We headed to the desks of the finance department.

Tita smiled at the people and she held both my shoulder while standing behind me. "This is Catria or Callie, she's the new member of the auditing team."

I smiled and nodded at them. I wasn't sure if I should wave or what, it was so hard to be in a casual setting in business and their business is so casual.

Everyone's gaze turned to me, some of them arched their brows while the others glared at me. Some of them just looked at me with straight faces, and only one of them was smiling at me.

Tita squeezed my shoulders. "Be nice to her, okay?"

I know and I noticed that all of them were forced to nod at tita but it was evident in the expressions on their faces that I was not welcomed in the company.

Tita turned to me. "I'll leave you to your department, Callie. Get acquainted with your workmates."

I smiled at her and nodded. "Thank you po for showing me around."

"Lily, ikaw na bahala rito kay Callie," tita told Mrs. De Guzman, the head of the finance department, before walking away.

Mrs. De Guzman guided me to my desk while she told me what I was going to do for the week. She was a soft-spoken woman and very motherly so it was easy to listen to her.

She wasn't hostile like the other members of the finance department and audit team. She trained me and showed me the ropes on how they audit the expenses and the profits of the company.

After a few hours of all that, I was able to start doing my work. We have weekly deadlines so I have to finish it before the deadline.

"Callie, kakain kami ng lunch, sama ka?" someone asked me.

I stilled and turned to the person who was asking me, it was Liz, one of my co-workers. My lips parted because I wasn't expecting that someone would ask me. I smiled and nodded. "Where—I mean, saan kayo usually kumakain?"

"Sa pantry kami kumakain ng lunch pero 'yong iba sa amin bumibili sa labas," she said with a smile. "Maraming malapit na kainan dito. Gusto mo samahan kita?"

I nodded. "Yes, please."

"Halika na, mamaya na ulit 'yan. Kaya nga tayo may deadline para hindi tayo nag-po-procrastinate pero hindi rin natin tinatapos sa isang araw 'yong trabaho natin."

"Okay," I said and stood up.

I followed her outside and she gave me a list of her restaurant recommendations but I settled with fast food because it was cheaper.