Chapter 21

"Halika, Callie," dad said and motioned me to walk first. We were inside the venue where Matt will be playing football. I really didn't want him to come with me but he was too persistent in watching Matt play.

I noticed that some of the students were looking at us. It didn't seem like they hated us. Maybe they're just not used to seeing me and my dad. I looked behind us to check if our bodyguards were there because their stares make me uncomfortable.

He guided me to an area where some of his acquaintances were. The seats were closer to the field which was good because I didn't want people blocking my view. We were also far from the rest of the crowd.

He was greeted by some officials and administrators of the event. Dad was known in the sports community because he was always present at sports events and he's also a sponsor of one college basketball team.

"Hindi ko akalain na pupuna ka rito, senator Mariano," one of the organizers said. He had a huge smile on his face that I'm sure was just there because he wanted to be on my dad's good side. "Iniisip namin na pupunta ka lang kapag Palarong Pambansa na."

"Kaibigan kasi ng anak ko 'yong isa sa mga players ng Marikina kaya sinamahan ko na lang din siya para makapanood na rin." Dad smiled. "Magagaling 'yong mga bata, nanood ako ng basketball noong nakaraan."

"May libreng araw po kayo ngayon," another organizer said. "Napapanood ho namin na masyado kayong maraming pinag-uusapan sa senado."

"Oo pero may mga panahon naman na kailangan ko unahin 'yong anak ko. Gusto niya talaga manood nitong football." He chuckled and patted my head.

The other people looked at me so I just smiled sweetly at all of them and nodded. I'm used to this... Smiling even though I didn't really want to.

"Senator Mariano," one of the men greeted my dad and smiled. He's the mayor of Marikina but I don't remember his name.

"Nabanggit ko lang ang Marikina biglang dumating ka, Mayor Suarez," dad said and chuckled. "Kumusta ang pamamahala sa Marikina?"

I lost interest when the mayor started talking about the projects he was planning for their city. I looked at the field and the players were already doing their warmup exercises.

"Dad, there's Matt, oh," I said and pointed at Matt who had his serious face on while warming up.

Dad looked at Matt and he smiled at me. "May mas iseseryoso pa pala 'yong mukha ng batang 'yan."

"He's always like that when it's game day," I said while staring at Matt. I cannot make myself look away because he really looks nice whenever he's wearing his jersey.

"I see," dad said and chuckled. "I hope he plays well. You've been overselling him to me for the past couple of hours."

I chuckled because maybe I was overselling Matt a little but I wouldn't admit to that. "I'm not. He's just really good, dad."