Chapter 57

My heart was racing as I was sitting in front of tita Shirley. Gosh! I sent my application requirements to several starting businesses and most of them rejected my application except for this company. I didn't know it was owned by the Torre family!

I forced a smile because I was still feeling ashamed. "I'm sorry, I didn't know that this company was owned by you. I tried Googling but it didn't state the owners."

"Well, we try to keep a low profile." She smiled and held on to my application requirements. "Our business is just starting and it's getting popular as we increase our services and I don't want this new thing about our family to disrupt Carmela's private life. Being part of a political clan in Cebu is already a risk, having a business adds to that risk."

"I understand," I said while nodding slowly. I cleared my throat. "Well, I'll understand if you don't want me to apply here." I smiled.

It is sad to let go of the Torre family because they were really nice to me when Matt and I were kids but I know what my parents did was unforgivable to them.

She shook her head and sighed, she still had that motherly aura. "Like what I told you, Callie, I am not mad at you for what your parents did to my son but what you did in the election was really disappointing."

I sighed and nodded. "I know that now. I'm sorry, again."

"But why are you here applying for a job, Callie?" she asked with a worried tone in her voice. "Aren't you still studying law?"

I avoided her gaze and fiddled with my fingers on top of my thighs. Should I tell her what's going on?

I sighed. It's not like it wouldn't come out eventually. I'm sure the Cantabrias are looking for ways to pin everything on me.

I let out a deep breath. "I actually ran away from home 4 days ago. I'm trying to be independent now. I just... Don't want to be associated with my family anymore."

Tita's lips parted and she stared at me with confusion. "Why? What happened?"

"A lot, tita." I forced a smile so she wouldn't push the topic further. I'm not ready to tell them about my child with Matt.

I don't want another group of people blaming me for my lost baby.

Tita just nodded and read my curriculum vitae. "Impressive credentials, Callie, but are you sure you want to settle for a small company? I'm sure your New York University diploma can help you secure a job in bigger companies."

"Yes, but I don't want to work for big companies where there's a possibility that the owners are connected to my parents and my ex-fiancé's family."

"I see," she said while nodding. She clasped her hands together and smiled at me. "Well, I'm not the one who's going to interview you, the head of the finance department will. I just wanted to know why you're applying here because we really don't want to associate ourselves with those people."