Chapter 23: Dark cloud

Josh's pov
I woke up around 10am and Tory wasn't in bed.
What the hell? I thought.
I walked to the living room and she was outside on the patio by the pool.
I walked out and sat down next to her. She looked some what sad. Damn was I that bad?
"Hey are you okay?" I asked
She gave me a slight smile.
"Yeah I'm okay. I just couldn't sleep last night."
"Why?"
"Just overthinking you know?"
"About what?" I asked.
She stayed quiet for a bit. She looked over at me and she said "why didn't you tell me."
"Tell you what?" I was so confused.
"About what happened last year.." it looked like she was about to cry.
Who the hell told her?
"I Um."
"Vinnie told me what happened. How come you didn't tell me that?"
Fucking vinnie.
"I just didn't want to burden you with it. It's in the past and that where it should stay."
"But still josh you should have told me."
"Yeah I know I'm sorry."
"It wouldn't be a burden to me you know."
She paused for a moment.
"I tried to do the same a few years ago. When my mom first got sick. I wanted to end it all I felt like the world was against me. I started taking antidepressants but they didn't work. I got to the point where I couldn't take the pain anymore so one night I grabbed some of my moms sleeping pills and then I woke up in a hospital. My heart did end up stopping for like 2 minutes before they could get me back. After that I still couldn't get back to my original self. I'm still working on myself but at times I feel like I'm going in the wrong direction you know?"
I stayed quiet. I wiped my eyes, the tears just kept coming.
I didn't say anything there was nothing I could say.
"So..." I paused.
"Um last year when everything happened the week of I was in a bad place physically and mentally. Michelle was on a drug binge and she was cheating on me and doing other things I'd rather not say. I just got to a point where I didn't want to feel like that anymore. My mom was always working so I couldn't really talk to her about it. So the night of my birthday I grabbed my old sleeping pills that I had from like months before and I grabbed a bottle and that was that."
"After that I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days so they could watch me and make sure I was okay to go back home. I ended up having to stay at a rehab center for like 3 months. After that I came home and that's when I started to work with your dad. Working on the cars and stuff took my mind off things."
She just kept looking at me and she looked so sad. I felt bad for putting all that on her just now, but she told me her story and I had to tell her mine.
"So why do you still have Michelle in your life if she caused you so much pain?" She asked.
"It's complicated you know? Like she's my first love and even if she's a terrible person she has always been there for me no matter what so I have to do the same. When I came back home she stayed with me everyday and made sure I was okay. For a time she went to rehab and got clean just so I could get better. She relapsed now but she wasn't always like that."
She hugged me, tighter than usual.
We sat there and hugged for a moment and I broke it.
Ding ding
Mom: Come home now please... we have to go out of town. Grandma just passed away..
Tears started to run down my face I felt like my heart had been stepped on and thrown all over the place. I felt dizzy like I wanted to just pass out. A somewhat shitty moment just turned into an even more shittier moment.
"Whats wrong?" Asked Tory.
"My uh my... my grandma just passed." In that moment time stood still. I didn't even know what Tory had just said to me. Her lips were just moving but I couldn't hear her.
"I gotta go."
"I'm coming with you. Just let me pack a bag." She said
We headed to my house and I packed a bag. My mom me and Tory drove down to the airport and got on the first flight to Canada.
My mom looked horrible. I knew this hurt her more than it hurt me. They were best friends, they were more that just a mother and a daughter.
After a long 4 almost 5 hour flight. We landed. We took a rental car to my grandmas house and everyone was there. My cousins, aunts, uncles literally everyone. My mom and I said hello and greeted everyone.
"Josh go ahead and go to the hotel. I'll meet you guys down there." Said my mom.
"You sure mom?"
She nodded.
"Yeah sweety go ahead. I'll be here making funeral arrangements."
I gave her a hug and we drove down to the hotel. When we got there I didn't want to do anything. I didn't even want to eat even though my stomach was growling like crazy.
Tory laid down next to me and I just turned away.
Torys pov
Josh was in pain I could tell. So when he turned away from me I knew he just wanted to be left alone. I didn't know how I could help him and that ate me up inside.
3 days later...
It was the day of the funeral and I could tell josh and his mom just wanted to get it over with. We all got ready and headed out.
Josh's mom had on a black mid length dress with short black heels.