Chapter 56: Ruins

Torys pov
"Do you like her?" I asked
She couldn't stop smiling.
"I love her I had a lab when I was a little girl and she looks just like her. Her name was Bella."
Nova calmed down and fell asleep on her lap.
"Im gonna take her upstairs with me." She said
I nodded. "Yeah that's fine."
Josh and I sat down in the living room with buddy and watched some Netflix.
His phone started to ring. He looked at the screen and just rolled his eyes.
"Who was it?" I asked
"My mom."
"Why didn't you answer?"
"Because it's probably about Anthony and frankly I don't care what she has to say about him."
"Are you kidding me josh? What if it's important!"
"Fine! I'll call her back."
"Mom what happened?" He asked
"I wanted to invite you and Tory to come over for dinner."
"Why?"
I shoved his shoulder in.
"Stop being rude!" I mouthed
"I meant sure we'll head down there in a bit."
He hung up the phone and gave me a look.
"What?" I said
"Are you serious? I don't want to see her right now."
"So? She's still your mom, and you only have one mom. Trust me id give anything to have dinner with mine one more time." I said.
"Fine get ready we're leaving in 30 minutes." He went upstairs and I followed behind him.
We finished getting ready and we drove to his moms house.
When we got there she welcomed us and we sat down in the living room and waited for dinner to be ready.
"What's up brother.Thought you wouldn't show, I mean you do hate me right?" Teased Anthony.
He sat down next to me and I just moved over.
"Woah there princess I won't touch you don't worry. I wouldn't want your clothes to get dirty."
I rolled my eyes and just stood up. I went to the kitchen with Josh's mom to see what I could help with.
Josh's pov
Tory left to go help my mom and I was in the living room alone with Anthony. I played around on my phone trying to avoid any type of conversation with him.
He scooted over next to me and he said
"Talking to the side pieces or what."
I ignored him and continued to scroll through social media.
"I mean I understand you need something different every now and then. Between me and you Tory looks kinda washed up."
"Can you just shut the fuck up. I'm happy with who I'm with I don't need your input." I said
He threw his hands up.
"Sorry I'm just stating facts."
I went to the kitchen with Tory and my mom. I couldn't stand being there with Anthony any second longer.
"I'm hungry where's the food." I said
"It's almost done." Said my mom
"Josh you can go ahead and sit down. It will be ready in about 5 minutes."
I sat down with Tory and soon after the food was ready and my mom served me a plate.
Anthony came to sit down as well and we ate there in silence.
No one even looked at each other.
"So josh when do you go back to school?" Asked my mom
"Next week." I said plainly.
I set down my fork and I said
"Mom get straight to the point, why are we here."
Her eyes widened, and she set down her fork.
"Josh no need to get angry."
"I'm not mom but damn! Just tell me why I'm here with this piece of shit having dinner."
"Josh calm down." Said Tory.
"No Tory I won't! I'm tired of her calling me here all the time for dinner and then she always says some bullshit going on with Anthony!"
"Just quit the shit mom what is it this time!" I yelled
She began to cry.
"I just wanted to have my kids here to just eat in peace. Is that too much to ask!!" She slammed her cloth on the table and went upstairs.
Tory looked at me and she looked mad.
Tory stormed off and went outside, I followed after her.
"Tory I'm sorry okay."
She pushed me away and she wiped her eyes.
"No josh! Your mom just wanted a calm dinner with her two sons with no drama and you ruined that! You don't know what she's going through and you are just acting like a dick!" She yelled
"Oh and you do! Please Tory!" I yelled
"I'm taking an Uber to my dads place. I'm spending the night there tonight. I'll pick up granny later on."
"What? Why?" I asked
"Because I honestly don't want to be around you right now! Look at you! You're being a complete psycho!"
"Yeah well maybe if my mom di...." She cut me off.
"She's sick josh! For fucks sake! She has cancer!"
"What?"
"She has breast cancer. She found out 2 weeks ago. She told me not to tell you. This was the whole point of this dinner was to break the news to you guys."
I felt my eyes water.
"Don't worry it's not that advanced. She has a surgery scheduled for this week to remove her breasts. She'll be okay."
I felt like such a huge dick. Did my mom not trust me enough to tell me the news sooner?