{15} The Past Can Hurt

~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~

"What?" A perplexed look takes my face as I look at Xavier. "My mother didn't just die from some natural cause. A vampire killed her." He says putting eggs on two different plates. This feels like a movie scene. How causal is this? He plates our breakfast as he explains how his mom got killed by supernatural beings. Normal right?

"My mom and multiple other adults were part of a group where they would create more vampires. Scientists of sorts." He explains, looking at me and making sure I'm okay with the conversation. "Vampires are created?" Xavier nods at my question. "They were creating them as experiments. They were trying to find a way for vampires to be able to go days to years without feeding." A plate is placed in front of me while I try to focus on our little 'catchup.' 

"I'm assuming a lot of them didn't survive."A look of disappointment laces Xavier as he takes his seat next to me with his food. "Assumptions correct. They were all volunteers... or so they thought." I can't believe I'm so calm with all the news about vampires existing. I should be fleeing the planet. Yet I sit here next to my...boyfriend? Jeez, I have a boyfriend!? All of a sudden my life is changing. I have a boyfriend, vampires exist, and my boyfriend kills them. Kills them. Still haven't wrapped my mind around that one.

"What do you mean by 'they thought'?" Xavier takes a bit of his food and points the fork around. "One day a man came bursting into the lab yelling about them killing their family. My mother explained to him that everyone there was a volunteer. He refused to believe so saying 'they were mind-controlled to volunteer.'" 

"Were they?" His eyes meet mine and he ultimately nods his head. "The man got upset. All the man would say was how could they have gone on with the experiments? Why would they keep going after the volunteers would say they had no clue where they were after transformation." Suddenly he goes quiet, the trance of thinking taking over in him. 

I can't imagine knowing what your mom did was wrong and still having so much love for her; constantly battling, justifying, and arguing with himself whether he should still care for her or not.

"The thing is....my mom continued the trials. She ignored them pleading for their lives as they were starved." I could see the disgust on his face. Xavier looked as if he wanted to throw up. I lay a comforting hand on his lap which he takes in his own squeezing it. "I guess the man was a vampire because he went on a rampage killing all of them... including my mother." The tremble in his voice fortifies the trauma the event held over him. "He killed all of them but one." I thought for a second. Then it clicked. "Your adoptive mother..."

The image of going through what he did at a young age seemed a little too close to home. Not to sound like a complete narcissist but I went through my parents dying I know how it feels, and for that, I'm sorry for him. No one deserves to go through that.

"With all those parents' deaths came the abandonment of their children. Therefore my adoptive mother taking all of them under her wing."Of course. Freya, Sam, Theo,  and Lidia were all taken in when he was. Getting thrown into parenthood for the sake of your dead friends didn't sound or seem easy. The pain of looking at their soulless bodies on the floor, no longer parents for their children could taint you forever like a tattoo. Looking at bodies no longer being able to go home to their kids who sat on the couch waiting for their parents who would never walk through the door again. 

That's what hell truly feels like I believe.

"The guy then went on to flee and never to return." I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "He just left...?" He just killed people and ran away. He could burn in hell if it were up to me. "When we turned fifteen we found out that the guy released all the vampires they had locked up into the real world." Fifteen. Just as you entered your teenage years you found out vampires were out in the wild. That must've fuking been confusing. "We all voluntarily went out and looked to kill them. They were rouge vampires who only knew that the food supply was limitless as they were surrounded by it. We couldn't stand by and watch innocent people die because there was only one person who truly knew about them; that person was my adoptive mother." 

"I'm sorry you had to go through that..." Xavier and I shared a look to which he simply gave me a soft smile and grabbed the back of my head pulling me into his chest. He placed a kiss on my head and placed his chin on my head. "How many are there? Rouge vampires?" I ask against his chest. "There were around eight hundred and given we've killed about five hundred, that leaves nearly three hundred more ." That's a lot. I guess the reason I'm not fazed by the fact that there are vampires and Xavier kills them for a living, is because I care about him and I understand why he does it. He was doing the world a favor killing those.. things.

I pull away from the hug looking at Xavier. "To be clear... I don't judge you for killing them. I understand they are a danger to people. I just don't want you to think that I think you're a murderer. you're helping people." He looks at me releasing a sigh of relief. I smirk at him. "Plus do you think if I thought differently I would've slept with you?" He rolled his eyes as he smiled, and stood up. "Who knows? You could've easily done so either way. We both know you couldn't keep your hands off me from the day we met."

Xavier earns himself a look of disbelief forming my mouth into an "O" shape while smiling. "Shut. Up," I grab an apple from the fruit bowl next to me and throw it at him. He quickly catches it laughing. "Jerk," 

"Was I lying?" He says standing over me and I can't hold my smile back as it spreads across my face as I scoff. "see..." He says laughing at my defeat, and leans down towards me. "I win..." I blush at the words that first started all of my strong feelings for him. "Just shut up and kiss me." I grab his neck smashing his lips onto mine. We didn't kiss for more than 10 seconds as his phone rang. "Hold on." He pulled away from the kiss and pulled his phone out of his pocket.  "Just some spam call." 

I stand up, walk into the living room, and sit down on the couch. Xavier sits down next to me. "Do you have work today?" I throw my head into the back of the couch. "Ugh, yes." I dreaded my job. Stupid Karens would walk in daily. My patience and tolerance were already low. They simply knew how to push my buttons. God how I wanted to drag them out by their hair.

"Hey um, I didn't tell you this because I got distracted by what happened last night," We both cheekily smile as he mentions last night's events. Xavier nervously plays with the belt loop of my jeans. "I know this isn't the best thing to tell you but, we found more vampires 30 minutes out of town and I'll be gone for a couple of days." 

"As long as you answer your damn phone I'll be fine." To this, we both chuckle. "I guess I'll answer my phone." He says sarcastically rolling his eyes, so I slap his chest. "Ow!" He says rubbing his chest. I roll my eyes at his dramatic gesture.

 I felt better knowing more about his past and the reason to kill the vampires he killed. Although I had no part in it, I understood and wasn't mad about it. As long as I and Xavier are ok, I'm ok. As weird as that sounds. I care about him. I don't think anything that was to happen would change my mind, and I'm ok with that.

~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~

Questions?-

Theories?-

What do you think about Xavier's past?-