{12} For the best

~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~~~•~~

"Well, that's not a choice." He lunges forwards and bites me. I scream.

"Vina."

 I could feel the blood being sucked out of me.

"Vina."

My eyes fly open and Xavier is hovering over me, studying my face with worry. "Hey, it was just a dream." I sit up and rub my face. "How do you feel?" He asks sitting up as well. "Ok," I reply looking at my lap.

Xavier sighs and mumbles. "I know I'm the last person you want in your place right now but I'm only trying to help you." I turn to look at him. "Thank you..." I give him a soft smile. "do you want break-" Before he can change the subject and finish his sentence I speak. "What was that last night..." Xavier stares at me. "The least you can do is tell me this. Just this one thing Xavier...Please." 

I was really hoping he'd finally tell me something. Anything. He Inhales. "That was a vampire, and Sam killed it." He whispers looking down. "How did yall know that's what would kill him?" He looks at me. "Because it's not our first time killing one." This happened multiple times. But why was it up to them to kill them? 

"You wanna know why we were gone for weeks... because our adoptive mother sent us to kill a group of vampires who were taking over a small town." He says nonchalantly. "You do this for a living?" I ask turning to look at him. "Sorta. But We- were not-..." He stutters, struggling to finish his sentence. He was holding back, but eventually, he lets out a sigh. "We were raised to always know how to hunt dangerous vampires and kill them in case of emergency. I wouldn't exactly call myself a murderer because-" I take in the information and stare at my lap. "Because they're already dead and they're dangerous."

"Yeah..." Xavier responds. "Do you consider me one?" He asks me making me look up at him. "...No," I whisper shaking my head. "Are you a vampire?" I ask making him take a sharp breath in. "No." He says looking at me. 

"I can't quite explain to you the rest of the things you wanted to know about... but, know that-" I interrupt him. "It's for the best. For now..." I finish looking at him. He nods at me while giving me a smile. "Promise me you will tell me the rest eventually," My eyes drift to my lap. "I promise." His hand lays atop mine. "I'm sorry I got us into a fight..." I apologize but he shakes his head. "As much as I hate defeat... I was in the wrong, and you have nothing to apologize for Vina." He says giving me a soft smile. 

I appreciated the fact that he knows he had a part in the fight. It felt nice to know he didn't think it was all my fault.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" I ask. Xavier bites the inside of his cheek. "I didn't want you to worry." He says. "Or for you to end up getting hurt because you're associated with me..." As much as I was still upset about everything, he had a good excuse. He wanted to protect me. I'm not exactly going to blame him for doing so.