Not what she wanted

Walking through the entrance hall once again they came to a big hall and entered.

As one walked into the hall, the first steps were on a long stage-like floor with a long table surrounded by chairs.

When walking to the edge of the elevated surface there were three steps that had to be crossed, the went all the way leading to a deeper laying floor with two long tables, short sides together and benches all around, all that, times three.

Josephine didn't see everything at first, she had just followed the Headmistress in and saw from the side of her eye that there were people looking at her and avoided looking at them, she didn't want to make eye contact.

As the Headmistress began to announce who Josephine was and that they should welcome her and so on, Josephine did take a glance at the students as to where a free seat was open, and as she looked all a round the hall she was shocked. No, more than that it almost felt like she wasn't going to take another breath today.

There wasn't only one seat with table wear next to only boys, no that only would have made her uncomfortable, there were only boys, everywhere.

The hall was filled with them.

She felt all the emotions anger at her parents for sending her here, the Headmistress for accepting such a stupid idea and of course herself for not noticing in the corridors that there hasn't been one girl amongst them.

How could she not realise, was she deaf dumb or blind. Maybe all three.

She was so angry she almost began to cry. Not only because she was angry also because she was scared, genuinely.

She didn't notice that the Headmistress was done talking and everyone now looked at her again.

She tried to contain herself, she was sure that none of her emotions were displayed in her face or her body language but her eyes were glazy and if she had to speak one word, her tears would start falling down from her cheeks to the ground she was sure of it.

She didn't hear what the Headmistress had said so she didn't know how to respond and she stayed silent and facing forward.

Ignoring the Headmistress wasn't a good start for her but she sensed that Josephine wasn't happy at all and put one and two together to figure out no one had told her yet.

She just gestured for Josephine to sit down and as she was mentally present again she understood and just sat down.

All eyes on her as she sat down and looked at no one.

Right now she didn't look down or up, it could almost seem as if she was looking at the boy right in front of her, but she wasn't looking at him she just had her eyes open.

Everyone seated near her could see her eyes and noticed how bad she felt, no one near her said a word while eating and everyone else only whispered.

She didn't eat much, she forced herself to the few small spoons of soup and declined after someone asked her if she wanted to eat something else with a short headshake.

After the dinner was officially over four boys stayed back with her as she waited for someone to give her further instructions.

As Miss Helen approached her and told her the next few things that were coming her way she felt light headed and one of the boys around put her hand on her back as to keep her from falling to the ground.