The lake

Today they had half the day off, as it was a holiday.

Josephine, Leon, Helen and the other boys from their room packed their bags with swimsuits and towels.

It took a scary trip to the headmistress to approve of their trip to the lake, but after a mild debate and a few promises, they all were allowed to go.

Helen even managed to get permission to drive there with gardeners truck, which had a loading bed where everyone could fit.

They loaded their bags in the bag and some of the boys simultaneously sneaked into the kitchen and got something for a little picnic.

As they rushed out the door everyone hastily got into the truck and urged Helen to floor the gas pedal.
They were afraid the cook would run after them and have them stay and help as punishment.

But not with Helen driving. They all thought they were in for a tough ride, but she had driven with her grandfather's tractor. This truck was no problem.

Safer and faster as they imagined they arrived at the lake.

The boys went farrel, almost ripping off their clothes to jump in.
Helen and Josephine got their bags and a blanked and sat down in the shadows of a Weeping willow.

They also got rid of their heavy dresses and were left with simple linen dresses.
Getting up to see what everyone was doing Helen and Josephine got dragged in with the boys splashing water at each other and dunking their heads down.

The girls didn't say it but one glance at eachother they knew they thought the same thing.

What a sight for sore eyes.

Who would have guessed the lake water would make everything better than the usual shower?

After everyone was soaked and hands and feet began to look like dried prunes, they git out to rest on the blanket and eat something.

On the menu where strawberries, Apples, a few scones and cider.

Josephine sipped from the cider, then declared.
"Is the apple juice supposed to taste this weird? " scrunching her face she held the bottle to Leon.

As soon as he smelled the supposed apple juice he began to laugh.
"Hey, who stole the cooks cider?"

All the eyes wandered to Damien.
"There are apples on the label, how was I supposed to know that it wasn't only juice"
He jokingly said.

"Either way, let's drink it. Except Helen, sorry."
Leon said sheepishly.
"We don't want to land in a ditch later on."

Time flew by and as the sun set they packed everything they could still clearly see into the truck and climbed in.

Everyone was tired yet happy and some even a slight buzz.

The drive home felt longer.
Josephine layed her head on Leon's leg and watched the stars wake up as she was falling asleep with the hands of her lover caressing her cheek.

As they arrived back at the Manor, Lady Lianne stood with tapping foot in front of the entrance.

Anxious she had found out about the strawberries and cider they all jumped out of the truck, best behavior on display.

"You're a little late. Did you have to catch a runaway again?"
She looked over to Josephine.

"No ma'am, we simply took a wrong turn once." Josephine answered. It wasn't a lie they turned the wrong direction once. But Helen didn't bat an eye before she made an illegal u turn and headed the right way.

"I'll let it slide. But don't think tardiness will be forgiven again. You heard me? " She looked at everyone before hushing them in and sending them to their rooms.

everyone made haste to get into bed. Not to upset Lady Lianne even more.

After almost everyone fell asleep, or pretended for the sake of those too, Leon got up and over to Josephine.

Her eyes already filled with sleep she looked at Leon, smiling.

He kissed her cheek and whispered a soft Good night.

As he was already turning away Josephine grabbed his hand and pulled him back in.
Nose to nose, she was too scared, when he finally kissed her on the lips.