Ch 14: Talk over drinks

This is a side chapter

Ah! Such a beautiful day. It was an amazing afternoon and I was enjoying my time lavishly while drinking some herbal tea and reading a book.

I heard that the Empress competition was going smoothly, and I am glad it's that way.

I was now thinking what to do in Empire thinking over various policies and plans to be implemented for betterment of citizens.

It was just then when I heard a knock on the door. And ya my intuition... It was the Princess again.

She's been coming way too often nowadays. I wonder what's the reason.

"Emperor~" came in my silver haired princess.

"Hello princess... Long time..." even though we met in the morning.

"No see? Right? I know that is the reason why I came Emperor." She was smiling.

"Is it? Come sit here. I need to talk to you about something."

"Sure"

She sat herself on a sofa beside me.

"Do you want anything to drink?"

"No your highness"

"I see"

I glanced over her a bit. She was wearing the same coloured clothes as I was. What is this? It's getting a bit awkward now.

There has to be something behind what she's doing... I can't exactly point at it tho. "Emperor? Are you lost in  thought again?"

"What do you mean by again?" Look at her. Gosh! Again? I am the Emperor, and what's this audacity?

"What are you gonna do when..." She paused. Her smile vanished. And she seemed to be a bit sad.

"Princess?"

"Huh? Oh! I guess I get it from you haha" she tried to laugh it off but her nervousness around me said something else.

"Princess. What happened? " I have never seen her this depressed except that one time when I joked about that account book. She worked really hard back then.

"Oh nothing Emperor. I just remembered I needed to do my homework. So ya rather than getting scolded by teachers later, I would go now and do it. Excuse-"

"Sit down" I held her hand tight and made her sit back. "Tell me what's the matter? Since a while ago you have been visiting me a lot. You have done wild thoughts in there now don't you? Tell me."

"I don't want you to get married."

"Ah..." I see she was nervous and sad because her family was soon gonna change. Did she think I won't give her enough time?

"Dear... You will be my first priority anytime. And now I am marrying because I need someone to look after the Empire. Do you want me to get sick from overworking?"

"No I don't want that but..."

"Dear... Since I am the Emperor I can't succumb to my emotions. At times, for betterment of Empire, I have to do things even when it would cause trouble to others. And as the future Empress, I want you to remember that too. Ok?"

"Yes Emperor." She sounded a bit more confident now. Seems like the darkness load in her was cleared.

"Ok then. What do the princess want to do today?"

"I wanna do something different."

"What?"

Shariar's Pov:

I knew it he was a fool in love with his daughter. Hah! Now lemme wipe off these crocodile tears and check till how much length can he go for me.

I had been acting for a while to be pretty and sweet around him and ya he seems to have fallen for it. I can never trust a man who killed my mother in front of me. I decided to live a good life and I will stand by it no matter, what!

I put on a smile and said... "Lets give eachother secret gifts."

"Hm?" He seemed confused but intrested.

"Like we'll each give eachother something they like. What the other likes is entirely what we have to find. Understood? "

"Yes. Sounds interesting"

Hah! Fool.

"Lets start then! We can ask anyone in palace what we like. Ok then." I get up and run out of the palace as I went to find what he liked. I could hear him scream,"Don't run in my palace! Do you even listen?"

Meh! Don't worry I won't fall haha! I chuckled to myself as I already knew what he liked but today, my goal was something different...

At a different place at the same time:

"I love you for who you are. It's fine even if you don't win the Empress choosing competition. Your winning might make it hard for us to take you back. I still feel guilty for wasting all my money in gambling and marrying you off to Emperor Shamel to pay off our debt. I promise I will take you back. Just wait a bit longer."

As the man walked towards the window and light setting sun fell on him, we could see that he was a very old and worn out man with dusky skin tone. He was practically trembling if not for the stick which he used to support himself. He was a royal as it could be interpreted by his clothes.

"I won't break my promise this time, Sheila."

He looked at a woman sitting near the mirror in his room. She had black hair and dusky skin. One could say she was a beauty seen never before. But she had a cold expression on her face one which embraced royalty and dignity. One which could create wars to be fought over her.

She looked in the mirror and fanned herself a bit. Then smiled. "Anything you do doesn't matter. I forgot I even had a father when you put me as a gamble and sold me off when you lost to Emperor Shamel. I would say he has more ethics than you. He has never once thought of selling his children to anyone. Neither has he let them be when they indulge in gambling. I recently heard the ten year old prince was punished by him when he tried his hand on drinking alcohol which was encouraged by the servants. Even the servants were fired off."

She smiled. Admiring her beauty, she stopped fanning herself and put the fan down.

"It's useless father. I will do whatever I want from now on and wheather it's about winning the Empress competition, it will be upto me. And since I want to get a beauty sleep, you may leave now."

The other man knowing he wouldn't get through her, left.

The woman then mumbled "What would it be like... To become the Empress?"