Ch 25: When it went downhill

It had been around two weeks since the rebellion of the commoners against the Emperor started. I am trapped in this weird place under the main palace building and I have no idea how to get out of here.

I read about the secret pathways in the palace, so I was able to save my life by rushing in this place as soon as I got the news that the rebels were going to infiltrate the palace.

I have no idea where is the Empress at all. I am worried about her. Same goes for Janiel, I heard he went to fight the rebels but...

I even doubt, he would be alive at this point. This all has happened because of me. If I would not have made a silly mistake with the Princess then I would have been in a better situation.

She is responsible for this rebellion if you look at it from one perspective but if you look at it from some one else's, then it's due to that one sentence that I said to her, that this is happening...

Two weeks ago:

"Shariar, care to explain?" I was really angry at princess back then. She snuck out, told everyone her real name, hanging out in this place without any protection and without changing any appearances. I am done with her.

She has absolutely zero character. She can suddenly become super strong as in the case of the farmers of she can suddenly become super dignified and lovely like how she had been recently or suddenly cry when she doesn't like something like when I commented on her report or when I was about to get married or she can really just be two faced like when I threatened her back then.

I can't get a hold of her personality whether she really is double faced or just some character whose role is to just cry or someone really righteous. I don't even know whether she likes me or not. I thought I was doing a good job but now? Nah!

Enough! I can't have it anymore. I am just done. Handling this woman is harder than handling a whole Empire.

I looked at her. She seemed frozen and she was trembling. Calm down... Calm down Shamel. This is all under your control. Calm down. You are in control of your emotions. Nothing has happened to her or Jamie. Calm down.

Deal with this calmly. She is just 12. Things like this are normal. Think that she is in her rebellious phase. Calm down...

Just talking to her calming in private after going to the palace will do. No need to punish her or scold her. Teens tend to be sensitive. Being rough won't help. I need to be calm about this. I sighed.

"Let's deal with this once we return."
I said.

"O-Oh father..." Shariar said.

"Come." I grabbed her wrist and started to drag her back. Welp. I am irritated. I need to learn how to calm myself more. Or is it just better to tell her that I am upset at this? Rather than just telling her that sneaking out is bad? Would that be too offensive?

I did see some insta reels about parenting back in my previous life about gentle parenting but when you actually try to follow it,  it becomes really tough to say which one is too permissive and which is way too authoritative.

Well my mental peace matters too but I don't want to traumatize her. But if I suppress my emotions, I will just burst out on someone else. Mann this is really tough.

"Am I in trouble." I heard Shariar say.
"You are dead once we reach." I replied angrily. I can't control my anger no matter how much I try and right now it's getting released in the form of me agressively grabbing her hand or replying to her crossly.

This isn't really my thing, huh?

***
We returned to the palace. I was thinking about the right course of action to approach her.

Janiel decided to take Jamie home and give him a good talking-to about this matter. Should I just do what he is doing? But my and princess's relationship is complicated.

Jamie is mature and has a good understanding with Janiel. That man became his step father 2 years ago and just got a phat W at parenting. He let's Jamie have his teen moments and at the same time if he does cross the line, he is raising him so well. I don't know how he does that but that guy is so amazing. I am jealous.

Usually boys have a difficult relationship with their dads during teenage but these two really be proving to be an exception.

Gaah! I think I need to get a good night's sleep and even let the princess relax a bit such that we can talk about this properly and find a mid way.

I hence told her to leave and that w will discuss this matter the next day. I went to sleep too. But a few hours later, I heard someone knocking at the door. When I opened the door, it turned out to be a knight.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I apologise to disturb you your highness, but, we have been attacked."

"By whom? I don't think any empires pose an immediate threat to-"

"It's not the empire your highness."

"Then?"

"It's... Princess Shariar. She and the commoners have started a rebellion."

"What..." I- I don't believe this... Why?!

"Emperor you need to escape. We can't afford for you to die."

"But..."

"They will be here soon! Please escape! I will try to hold them on for as long as I can! We will fight till my last breath for your highness! So please escape!"

Just why? Why is this happening? Where... Did I go wrong?