H E A L I N G

DON'T BE AFRAID TO START ALL OVER AGAIN.

YOU MAY LIKE YOUR NEW STORY BETTER

♡♡♡

Adeline

     I think if I could have any superpower in the world it would've been the power of healing. I mean hear me out I could be rich and then I would be able to meet Jeff Bezos and then I could heal all the sick people in the world. The best part though is meeting Jeff Bezos.

    I'm suddenly disturbed from my thoughts when I nearly trip off the ladder i'm on while trying to stack a book on the top shelf. Okay enough Addy get off the ladder and go home stop hiding. Fear struck through my heart as my conscious told me what I should do.

No one should be scared of going home but here I was the last person to clock out in the library because I hated my home life.

Maybe he'll be asleep.

Maybe he's out with his sick friends.

Or maybe he's waiting at home for me and he'll apologize and tell me what a crappy father he's been and give me a fatherly hug...

Yeahhhhh tough luck Addy.

Okay happy thoughts. That's what mom would say. I miss her but I dont want to think about her cause then I'll cry and then snot will come out and then I would have to go to the creepy bathroom and get napkin.

Okay I'm just going to go.

I get off the ladder and put it back in its designated place and turn off all the lights grabbing the keys off of Mrs.Dana's desk. I like Mrs.Dana she's nice to me and not a lot of people are. Okay lights check ladder check keys check. I feel like im forgetting something...

MY BAG

"idiot" I mutter while speed walking to the back room to grab my bag.

Okay now that im sure I have everything I lock the door to the library and began my walk home.

I look up at the slowly setting sun. Pretty.

The urge to take a picture hits me and then I remember that my camera is severely broken and there would be no point so instead I gaze using my god given blessing my eyes.

Speaking about eyes A man came in today and had the most dazzling eyes they were forest green the urge to compliment him was unexplainable but I held back mainly because I knew he would think I was trying to...you know do the thing.

I know this because I once complimented a mans jawline and he proceeded to rub against me and then I speed walked away cried in the bathroom and then came out like nothing happened.

Never compliment again.

Okay maybe it was stupid on my part but his jawline was super sharp like really sharp.

Okay moving on I have one friend Natasha. She's...sweet. I like her...most of the time.

She mainly speaks to me only when she needs help with homework or something but she still talks to me. Well that was last year and she hasn't spoken to me all summer maybe her phone broke.

Addy...

Well truthfully she only started talking to me out of pity because of my mom but like I said no talking about her.

First day of school tomorrow. So excited.

Yes i'm one of those people who enjoy school. You would too if you endured what I did. I picked up most of my supplies and I packed my bag an I have an outfit.

Almost home and the nerves start to hit again.

He's asleep.

He's asleep.

He's asleep.

I unlock the door and walk in.

He's awake.

"Where've you been girl" My father slurs.

He's drunk too.

He's awake and he's drunk.

"W- Work" I fearfully stutter.

He stands up from the single leather couch that looks like it's been ripped apart by a lion. Yellow foam creeping out. I tell myself to focus on the foam. Don't look at him look at the foam.

"Work or whoring yourself around"

What...

"Work dad I s-swear I wouldn't-" My sentence is cut off when he steps so close to me the smell of Tequila is all around me.

No

No

No

Mom...Please

He steps even closer till our faces are centimeters away. He raises his hand and I know it's coming but I dont expect the blunt force of it.

I flinch from instinct and immediately feel the sting of my own fathers callused hands against my cheek.

I feel the tears stinging my eyes like the stinging on my cheeks.

I'll be okay

I'll be okay

"Get your ass upstairs before you get yourself another one of those" He spits out.

I run grabbing my bag other hand holding my cheek.

"AND DONT LIE AGAIN" I hear my dad yell as I shut my door slowly not wanting to give him another reason to come finish the job.

I didn't even lie I think as I slide down my door as slow and controlled sobs come out of me.

He's just hurting I think. He's just grieving.

He's learning to heal.

No this is all wrong no father should ever put their hands on their daughter.I can't do anything though because im weak and pathetic.

I just want to stop doing and thinking sometimes I wanna stop living. That way just seems so much easier.

But I will not do that because if my mom told me one thing before she became an angel it was grieve but always learn to heal.

So that's what I was going to keep doing...healing.