3

That evening Elle entered her apartment exhausted, put her backpack on the floor, slipped off her shoes, and dropped onto the couch with a sigh. The anger about Burrow's behavior had ruined her day so badly that she couldn't concentrate on anything and everything took her twice as long as usual. Even the grocery shopping had overwhelmed her. Thinking about it made her remember that she desperately needed to get it out of her backpack.

Burrow, thankfully, had been quiet for the rest of practice and had dutifully done all the exercises Elle had told him to do. Whether she was still in charge of him tomorrow or he was really complaining about her, she would probably find out soon enough.

Suddenly her cell phone rang and as she read Nick's name on the screen, it suddenly occurred to her that she might find out what Burrow had been up to sooner than she thought. For some reason, she was sure Nick would be shitting on her in a minute, how she could think of yelling at the great Joe Burrow and that spoiled her mood for the conversation.

Still, she took the call. "Hey Nick, how are you?" she asked, perhaps to escape the yelling at her for a few minutes and because she was really worried about her mentor.

"Hi Elle, oh, just a little floppy, but otherwise pretty good" Nick answered and Elle had to admit that he sounded a little groggy, yet his mood was apparently good.

"I'm happy for you. If you need anything, feel free to contact me" "that's very sweet of you, but you've got enough on your plate with work now that you're finally allowed to work on your own, don't you?" Elle sighed. "You're right about that" "oh, someone doesn't sound happy, how was your day today? Did the training with Joe work out?"

"in that case you didn't get any complaints about me?" Elle asked, not knowing herself why she was so surprised. She had been pretty sure Burrow was one of those cocky players who would immediately complain if you just looked at him the wrong way.

"Complaint? No, why? What would anyone complain to me about you?" Nick sounded confused and surprised. "Well, I had a little freak out this morning and yelled at Burrow" Elle admitted meekly.

"Freak out? Yelled at Burrow? You? What did he do to make you fly off the handle, Elle?" She was surprised at how obvious Nick took it that Burrow had something to do with her freak-out and that she wasn't just having a bad day.

"He just acted impossible, really made a drama because I'm still so young and female. He was so sure that I only got the job through contacts, which is true, but still. I don't have any experience, but I'm an excellent athletic trainer" Elle told, noticing the anger gathering in her stomach again and her hand forming into a fist.

"Elle, you didn't get this job just because of your contacts. Of course Zac and I put in a good word for you, but what convinced them was your good performance and the positive reinforcement from the college that you are very competent" Nick assured her "I know" Elle sighed.

"But I don't understand why Joe would complain about that" "because I threw it at him that if he has a problem with me being female and inexperienced, but then he has to deal with not being back on the field in time to play the season, he should contact Zac, Paul or you. And because I called him a cocky idiot and I think he heard it."

"Eleanor! You can't just insult people just because they doubt your competence!" Nick said reproachfully, but Elle heard clearly that he was smirking. "I was just pissed off. Who does he think he is?"

"Funny, I didn't think Joe would have a problem with you, that's why I assigned you to him too. I don't think there's ever been a problem with his behavior" "probably no one has been young and female until now" Elle muttered, which made Nick laugh.

"I'm pretty sure the whole thing was just a misunderstanding and he didn't mean to offend you. Female, young athletic trainers are just a rarity especially in the NFL and Joe probably meant that as a compliment" "then he really sucks at giving compliments" Elle stated.

"I'd be happy to check in with Zac and talk to him about it sometime if it would make you feel better" Nick suggested to her. "that's nice, but no. First of all, I could call Zac myself and secondly, I don't want to complain the first time someone does something stupid to me. Maybe you're right and it was all just a misunderstanding"

"I'm pretty sure it was, Elle. Just go back tomorrow and don't be too hard on him and I'm sure it will sort itself out and if he's that stupid to you again, then you call me tomorrow night and I'll file a complaint and see about assigning you somewhere else, ok? I want you to enjoy going to work and be appreciated by the people you work with"

Elle sighed a little in relief. "Thank you, Nick. You don't know how relieved I am that you are so committed to me" "you have potential, Elle, and I don't like to see potential wasted. Besides, I'm sure your old man would be at my throat if I let his little girl down like that. By the way, feel free to give him my regards the next time you speak to him. Tell him to come see me when he visits you."

"you get out of quarantine first, Nick" Elle laughed, but promised to pass on the greetings before wishing Nick a good evening and a speedy recovery and hanging up.

She rose from the couch and grabbed her backpack. The phone call had really done some good, and she had to admit that she didn't feel as much anger toward Burrow as she had before. What a weird day, she thought to herself as she put the groceries away in the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator.

After a relaxing shower that washed the last vestiges of the exhausting day off her, she got ready for bed. She set her alarm clock and picked up her book.

She read for some time before putting the book on her nightstand, checking her cell phone for the last time for important messages, and then turning off the light.

Tired, she snuggled against her pillow and reviewed the conversation with Nick. He was right, she should just go back to work tomorrow with an open mind and give Burrow a second chance.

If he really was as nice as Nick thought, then things would surely work out. And if not, she would still have Nick on her side. Satisfied, she fell asleep.