98

Joe didn't hear from Elle. After she didn't answer his messages and his calls went straight to voicemail, he decided to give her the distance. He didn't want to disturb her at her meeting, because he knew how important this whole thing was to her.

However, as he drove to the stadium the next morning, he started to get worried because Elle's cell phone still seemed to be off and he knew Elle wasn't the type to ignore you for that long.

He hoped that he would see her right away with the other ATs so that maybe they could talk it out before the game, because while Joe was good at blocking out everything possible while he played, he wasn't sure if he would be able to get Elle out of his mind.

However, to his surprise and even greater concern, Elle was not in the room when he went to get his taping. He got his knee taped and went through a few exercises with Michael before being released.

Immediately, he walked up to Nick. "Where's Elle? Why isn't she here? Have you heard from her?" he bombarded the AT with questions.

"Weren't you with her this morning?" Nick asked, confused. "No, why? What happened this morning?" Joe asked, startled.

"You don't know? Elle had a panic attack" Nick sighed worriedly. "What?" Joe looked at him in shock. "Is she all right?"

Nick nodded. "Leila called me after it was over and we agreed that Elle should come in later today and only if she was really okay. Did something happen between you guys?"

Joe sighed. "We had an argument yesterday. She left because she had a meeting and then slept at Leila's. I haven't heard from her since."

Nick put his arm on Joe's shoulder comfortingly. "I'm sure you guys will work it out. When she gets here, I'll try to send her your way so you guys can work it out before the game, okay?"

"Thanks, Nick. I really appreciate that" Joe gave him a dejected smile before walking out of the room.

After warming up, Joe walked back to the locker room with Ja'Marr. By now his best friend knew about the events of the previous evening as well, and tried to distract Joe's mind from them as best he could.

"Bro, there she is" they had almost arrived outside the locker room when Ja'Marr nudged Joe lightly and nodded down the hall. Joe's head immediately shot in that direction and his heart tightened when he saw Elle.

She looked so small and fragile, in her all-black outfit. She had her arms wrapped around her body, but broke the stance and weakly raised her hand. A sad smile spread across her face as Joe returned the gesture.

"Be right back" Joe pushed Ja'Marr aside and walked with quick steps toward Elle.

Just a few steps in front of her, he stopped. "Hey, I was worried" he hesitated, but then pulled her into a relieved hug. It felt like Elle's complete strength gave out as she literally collapsed in Joe's arms.

"I'm sorry" she whispered, wrapping her arms around Joe. "I'm so sorry. You were right."

"Hey, hey, it's okay, okay? It's all good" Joe broke away from her and brushed her hair out of her face before placing a kiss on her forehead.

Elle shook her head. "No, it's not, Joe. I was mean. I was wrong. I shouldn't have thrown all that stuff at your head. You don't deserve that"

"that's all long forgotten, Elle. I want to support you. I have your back, I want you to know that. Even though I may not agree with how you're going through with it. No matter what you do, you have my support, Elle" he stroked her cheek.

"I know that. I know that, Joe. It's just...." she stopped short and lowered her gaze. "...You were right about my health. I ...I had a panic attack this morning. It was suddenly all too much and I couldn't breathe. I...I..." she stammered.

"I know. Nick told me, Elle. I wish I hadn't been right. But you're all right again? Everything's okay again?" Elle nodded.

"I've been talking to Leila. I'm going to take a step back from the campaign for a bit. We'll give the responsibility to someone else and I'll be informed once a week what's new and I still get a say in everything, but this way I have more time for me and more time for you, for us" she explained.

"Good, that's good, Elle. That was the right decision" he pulled her back into a tight hug and felt the strength come back into Elle and the tension fall away from him. They had both needed this reconciliation.

"now we have our first big fight behind us too" Joe joked. Elle scoffed. "I just wish it hadn't been over such a small thing. I completely overreacted" she admitted.

"You were stressed" Joe waved it off. "I was a total drama queen. I was overdramatic" Elle replied.

Joe laughed out loud. "Maybe. But that's ok, you're my little drama queen" he broke away from her and put his lips on hers. Elle giggled into the kiss.

"Now hop, hop to the locker room. Listen to Zac's speech and then get out there and get us our first playoff win in 33 years" she pressed a quick kiss to his lips before looking at him from below, grinning.

"Somebody's got the hots for a win" Joe quipped with a laugh.

"mmh maybe" Elle winked at him. "But maybe I just know that victory sex and make up sex together, will make for the best night we've ever had"

"Watch your mouth Madame, or this is going to be the fastest NFL game you've ever seen so we'll get home fast" grinning Joe pinched her butt cheek making Elle squeal.

Laughing, Elle pressed one last kiss to his lips. "Go, get them, tiger" she murmured to him before breaking away from him and running in the other direction of the locker rooms.

"I will, drama queen, I will" Joe called after her before running towards the locker room with a grin on his face.

How's excited for the game tonight?🙋🏼‍♀️
Can't wait to see the boys play in their white uniforms, it looks so gooooood

Thanks for incredible 152k reads!!! Can't believe it!

Hope you're having an amazing day and a great game to watch tonight🤫🫶🏼

WHO-DEY🧡