12

Elle was excited the next morning when she entered the conference room. She was eager to find out if she was now allowed to train with Joe again or if she was still condemned to the desk.

When Paul started the meeting, he first explained that it was going to be a busy week as training camp would start next week and everyone should expect to work harder and longer than usual this week since Nick was still out, but would coordinate and do parts at home in the home office.

"So now for the schedule. Per direct request from Burrow, you, Simmons, will be leading his training again starting today. The schedules for this week are in his file, which is in front of you" Elle would have loved to jump for joy when Paul announced the change, but just nodded silently and clutched the file as if someone was about to take it away from her.

"what did you give Burrow that he went all the way to Paul to get you back?" Michael asked Elle when everything was discussed and she was about to head to the training room.

"Nothing at all. He did it all by choice" Elle shrugged, pulling on her backpack and tucking Joe's file under her arm. "Uhh, that means he likes you?" Michael grinned. Elle rolled her eyes. "He just thinks I'm more competent than you" she patted him on the shoulder and pushed past him. "Sure, that's why he wanted to know how you drink your coffee" Michael called after her as she left the room, just ignoring him.

Joe looked anxiously at the door when he heard footsteps in the hallway. "Guess who's back" Elle's voice rang out before he even saw her. With a big grin on her face, she entered the room and for a brief moment Joe considered jumping up and hugging her, so pleased was he that Elle was back.

Not knowing what Elle would think of that, however, he simply grinned back and raised his hand briefly. "Hey, glad my request seems to have helped with Paul" Elle nodded with a laugh. "Finally someone's here to boss you around again" she grinned before clapping her hands together and her expression turned serious. "So chop, chop. We have another week and a half to get you up to speed"

"Two more times and we'll be through for the day" Elle commanded as Joe pushed the leg press away from him with all his might. "Ok, good, last time, give it all you've got" Elle stood behind him, looking over his head to make sure he was moving his legs properly, especially his knee shouldn't be in any gentle position.

"And done" Elle patted him motivationally on the shoulder when he got it over with and handed him the towel and bottle again while she absently scribbled in her notes.

"So, what do you think? Will I start normally next week?" Joe asked curiously as he took a big swig from the bottle. Elle looked up from the file and chewed her lower lip thoughtfully for a moment.

"Well, in the end it's not up to me, it's up to Nick and Zac. But the results look pretty promising. If you keep this up all week, I'm very sure you'll be able to get into regular training next week" Elle assured him. Joe smiled with relief, that didn't sound so bad after all.

They both packed up their things and were about to leave the training room when Joe remembered that there was something he wanted to ask Elle.

"By the way, a couple of players and I are going to the FC Cincinnati game on Thursday, got free tickets as a token of friendship and stuff. Actually, Nick would have gone with us, but, well, he's indisposed after all. Do you want to come, so as Nick's replacement, since you're theoretically already taking over his duties here?"

Elle smiled. "I'm sure it would be cool, what time is the game?" "4:30pm is kickoff" "oh wow, I'll probably have to cancel then. We are still one short on the team due to Nick's infection. And well, the week before training camp is stressful enough with one man down, I certainly can't take Thursday afternoon off" she looked at him apologetically.

"Oh come on, you usually work so much every day, they can spare you for one afternoon. You can say that you have to go with us because one of us might get hurt and then we need an athletic trainer quickly or that you have to watch me so I don't overload my knee" Joe suggested, which made Elle laugh.

"I don't think Paul will let that go, but I'll take a look. Maybe there will be an opportunity for me to get Thursday afternoon off" "should I go back to Paul and ask? He certainly can't deny me something like that" Elle laughed. "You really want me there, don't you?"

Joe shrugged with a smile. "I just think a bit of a break from all the work would do you good too, but yeah, with you at the soccer would sure be fun. So, should I ask Paul?"

Elle shook her head. "There's already enough speculation because you asked to have me back for recovery training. I don't want to get any more weird looks from my co-workers, and besides, I'm a grown woman. If I want something, I'll figure it out on my own somehow."

"I don't doubt that. And there's really speculation?" Joe asked in surprise. "Sure, you think if the quarterback asked extra about the new, inexperienced trainer after someone else took over once, no one will talk about it? We're athletic trainers, we need a little gossip too"

"But don't women really only gossip?" Joe asked, puzzled. "We gossip among ourselves! Men just comment with looks, but that's enough. Well, Michael took me up on that, too, though. He wanted to know how I managed to get you to want me again and why you were so anxious to know how I drink my coffee. That you thought I was more competent, he didn't take as an answer" Elle shrugged.

"All right, but that's the truth. I think you're more competent than he is, and besides, you're fun to be with despite the work involved. With you, you have quantity and quality in one" Elle grinned. "I guess he doesn't see that"

"Sounds to me more like he's jealous" Joe considered aloud. "Of me? Why? Because I get to train you? For the love of God, you're not that great to train with" Elle laughed, but raised her hands apologetically.

"I'm just trying not to be hurt" Joe replied laughing before his expression turned serious. "But no, that's not what I meant. Maybe he's jealous of me because I get to spend so much time with you" Elle's eyes grew wide. "You mean...?" she stammered.

"I mean that Michael wants something from you" Elle's jaw clenched open as she inhaled loudly in wonderment. "That...that can't be. Michael isn't attracted to me" she denied the allegation as she shook her head violently.

"Come on, Elle. He knew how you drank your coffee" "yes, but only because I was with him constantly for the first two weeks" "see, there you go. You've been on top of each other for two weeks, almost all the time and suddenly Nick gets sick and you're no longer an appendage, you're taking on tasks of your own, namely, my recovery training. The time you spent with him before, he suddenly had to share with me. And as far as I think I know you, you're as open and cordial with everyone as you are with me, so I can understand why Michael might have gotten the idea that you and he...well, that he just has a thing for you, Elle."

Elle continued to shake her head vigorously. "no, that can't be" she grabbed her backpack and mumbled some apology and goodbye before literally running out the door. Her mind was spinning, Joe's claim would explain so many things.

Why Michael had brought her chocolate every day. Why he had always paid for the coffee. Why he had always taken over parts of her work, even when he had just as much as she did. Why he had always let her leave early.

She had thought that he had just been nice to her because she was new and very overwhelmed at first, but now, she didn't know what to believe.

Was Joe right? Had she sent the wrong signals to Michael with her very normal ways? Was he really jealous because she was spending so much time with Joe? Was that why he hadn't backed off on Friday and let Elle do Joe's workout?

Thousands of questions flew through her mind, but one burned itself deep into her thoughts. What had Joe meant by being able to understand why Michael had gotten the idea that there was a spark between them?

Thank you so much for answering the question, I really love the conversations we have and the new informations I get! Keep going like that!!
Also thanks for all the reads and likes, I really appreciate every one of them!! You motivate me to continue this story everyday!!

Question: How did you find my story? How did you become aware of it and why did you decide to read it?

My answer: well, I cannot answer this question because it's my own story 🙈 but Im really curious for you answers!!!