9. Just Trust Maa

Music for the Chapter: Bad At Love by Halsey

The entire place was being filled with the sound of the musical instruments

I saw Mama arrive there. His face was stiff but the time I spent with him allowed me to know that deep inside he was too disturbed to even speak a word to anyone. I was made to wear white and yellow clothing. A dhoti that came till my knees and a strapless blouse.

I walked up to him. He looked at me. I smiled at him. "Neither do I have my father, nor my mother. Neither my deity can stand by me, nor the mother goddess can get to me now. But, I know just one thing. You, the son of the great sage Bhrigu, who has perhaps even surpassed even his father in his capacity, are the only person I have. My mother gave birth to me but my destiny didn't offer the fortune to grow up under her security. My father was the one whose effluence had created me but I didn't have the fortune to reach and hide under the safety of his assurance. Yet, I wasn't completely bereft of fortune because I presume somehow, I have come to you. Who else do I have but you to take blessings from. Now, you decide. You say I sit up with Nandini and go through with it and I will do so. Even if I deem it to be disastrous, I will do you. You asked me to step down from the fight that day and I didn't. You asked me not to go around jumping and taking risks, I didn't listen to that. I do not plan to make that same mistake again. Whatever you decision is, I'll go through with it. I wouldn't ask you to chose between Virat and me. Whatever you say, I'll do it." I bent down and touched his feet. He placed his hand on my head. Then made me stand up and looked at me.

"Mahalakshmi shouldn't ever be worried. Didn't you tell me the plan?"

"I was once told that when a Guru accepts a student then he takes the responsibility of the student. Everything right from their safety, needs, wishes to moksha. You are here and I'll leave all of it to you."

"Alaknanda..." I turned and saw the large troop of maids arriving. Several other women arrived there. I walked ahead and sat on the specific tub they had set for me. The Vedic chants were being done as the women started to apply the mixture of haldi, besan, honey, red sandalwood, scents and rosewater.

Finally, when all the married women had applied the mixture to me. There were songs about wedding and the songs telling how marriage is and how a wife should be with her husband and all that. Mami and Devi Diti had started to rub the mixture over me completely.

"You're doing the rituals of the father." Devi Diti moved away to let Mama come ahead.

He put some of the mix on my face.

"The face that holds the glorious beauty of the entire clan of Vaishnavas, may all the strength of Vaishnava itself reside in those eyes." He then put some on my arms and hands. "The arms that hold the weight of Narayana's head while standing on his shoulders, may those hands hold Mahalakshmi's blessings." He then applied it on my legs. "The feet which have stepped on the shoulders of Narayana, may those feet stay strong to their ground and stay unshaken."