22. Siddhi

Music for the Chapter: Bhairavi Vandana

The garland of skulls representing the ego removed didn't scare me

The garland of skulls representing the ego removed didn't scare me. Her skin was as dark as space itself. Her ringlets seemed like galaxies used as decorations for her hair.

She roared violently towards me, swinging the sword. She kicked away the head in my direction. It fell right before me, spilling blood over me.

Her bright red eyes reminded me of the hibiscus flowers. The bright third eye flashing brilliantly reminded me of the kumkum spread across the forehead of Tulja Bhavani. The red tainting her tongue reminded me of the shattering Maya across the several lives who have surrendered to her.

I bowed down before and joined my hands. Never had a sight seemed more divine to me.

Who was ever equivalent to her in this whole world? Her soft hands were capable of destroying universes. Her honey-sweet tongue always says the loveliest words.

The violent roaring felt muting before the sound of her anklets. The sound of her sword was muted against the sound of her earrings tinkling. The sound of her hacking off heads seemed muted against the sound of her bangles clinking. The sound of her tearing through the flesh muted against the sound of her girdle. The sound of her necklace muted down the sound of her toe ring hitting the ground harshly.

It seemed like several Mahakalis had surrounded the cave. It seemed like a bloodbath. Mahakali drank blood out of the skull cups. Chamunda appeared out of her form and started to drink away all the blood from raktabija which threatened to fall on the ground. Bhadrakali lit a fire and started to throw the bodies in the fire, turning them into ashes. Shmashana Kali doused herself in those ashes. Tara started dancing around frantically while roaring. Ugra Tara chopped down the bodies left and right, jumping from one to another. Almost painting herself in blood like it was red colour on Holi.

Mahakali stood there and stared at me with her wide open eyes and tongue out. I just watched her mesmerized by her beauty. Could there really have been a woman far more beautiful than her?

I walked up to her and circled her. Even the threatening glare from her didn’t scare me.

“All the blood of demons you have drank, maa, must have made your taste bud bitter. Here, you eat this.” I offered her sweets, “There are various kinds of sweets. Mysore pak, rasgulla, rabadi, halwa, laddoo, balushahi, peda, and so many of them. Which one would you like?”

“Here, sit.” I offered her a seat. I washed her feet, washed her hands, and poured water over her to clean her. She shook her head and water fell off her hair. I chuckled and all of the water splashed over me, almost drenching me in water. With the end of my dupatta, I wiped away the water. I put a garland of hibiscus flowers around her neck. Then very carefully put the kajal around her eye. Finally, I gave her sweets. “Eat. Your mouth must have become bitter from drinking so much blood. The sweets will take away all the bitterness.”