21. Where The Paths Diverge

Music for the Chapter: Revenge of the Wolves by The Flight

The Land of the Pitr is far more organized than any city on Earth

The Land of the Pitr is far more organized than any city on Earth. Time works differently here than on Earth. 12 days on Earth is 1 day in the land of Pitr.

From the Land of Pitr, Naraka extends far down. Yamaloka is Naraka and Pitrloka together. The yamadutas all gathered near the palace of Yama.

"This is Alaknanda Vishnusuta. As per the order of Sri Maha Vishnu, she will be serving here with us as a yamaduta till the order is given otherwise." Yama told them all.

All the yamadutas looked at each other and then at me in surprise. One of them came closer to me. "Does she look like him?" They asked.

"People say I resemble my father but honestly, he is far more beautiful than I can ever be. After all, he is Man Mohana."

Yamadutas never generally have the opportunity to actually meet Narayana. Hence, they ask several questions about him. They do often see Bhairava. Kala Bhairava was their Lord. Yet, they don't often receive the darshan of my father.

Just like all the Yamadutas, Yama Deva also gave me a similar uniform. Black dhoti with white borders and large uttariya. I could suddenly understand why people mistook death for a cloaked figure. Yamadutas wear long dhotis and they drape the uttariya completely like a shawl, sometimes covering their heads. Their eyes can glow into an eerie red which would scare a regular humans soul hence they cover it with the uttariya over their head. Making them look like the typical description of a grim reaper.

I had received a similar uniform. When I returned after dressed in the uniform, Yama Deva was gone. A few yamadutas were there.

"Come. We will show you the king of Naraka." They said and I followed them. I felt a drop in my stomach. The negativity taking in. That odd feeling of being in an extremely unpleasant environment.

Morose. Like the will to live was slowly exiting my body. Like air was filled with piercingly sharp ice which I had to breathe. It seemed as if the ground had become wobbly and my knees were threatening to give up.

"Alaknanda, do not let this feeling take over you. It comes from the suffering of souls in Naraka." One of the yamadutas explained.

I instinctively touched my locket. Closing my eyes and reaching out the ashtakshari that had been given to me by Mama. In a moment, I could feel his strength that pervades the universe brighten up inside me.

"You can't just go over like-" I turned around and spotted Mama walking over while Yama Deva was trying to explain.

"Yama, don't tell me the rules. I am pretty much aware. So, if you excuse me from your unintelligible mutterings, I will speak to my niece." A smile broke into my lips. You can always trust Mama to make his way anywhere he pleases. If he had decided, he could walk past the gates of Vaikuntha without a prior appointment. Even during Chaturmasya.