19. A Lesson in Karma

"Ready?" I asked Vichitra

"Not like I have a choice. I'm cursed to endure this." He replied, annoyed. I took a deep breath.

"Take care of yourself, Alaknanda," Nana told me. I smiled at him.

"I will, Nana. Don't worry."

Nani came in with a small bag. "I've kept some food in the bag. Whenever you need food, it will replenish the bag. Don't eat anything from Pitraloka. Be careful. Don't get distracted by anything. Don't put yourself in danger."

"Pray, tell, Dakshapatni, how are we exactly to do this job without actually getting ourselves in danger? We literally have to go 'ghost-hunting' and bring them back to Pitraloka. How do you propose we do this without it being dangerous?" Vichitra asked.

"Salem, shush..." I silenced the cat.

"Do. Not. Call. Me. That." He brandished the razor-sharp claws, ready to scratch the hell out of my face.

"Bad kitty. Bad kitty"

The look on his face was vicious. Almost planning my murder but restraining himself because he is literally surviving because of me.

"Alaknanda..." Nani held my face with affection.

"Leaving, are you?" The subtle scent of basil leaves and sandalwood filled the air. A smile filled my heart. Out of thin air, my father appeared.

Perfect as always. His eyes sparkled with a proud smile.

"I'm ready. Just waiting for Yamadutas to arrive. Maybe I'll be the only one who would go to the land of the dead without actually being dead."

He chuckled. "I thought you would have had some small experience of death." He joked. I laughed.

"You have much greater experience of it than me." I shot back. He laughed. He touched my head and smiled affectionately.

He opened his hand and maa's ring and his locket appeared in his hands. I took them from him. Wearing the locket, I smiled.

"I know I've told this to you before but just a reinforcement of that memory. Always remember that no matter what, I will always be your father. I will always love you. I am proud of you for simply having the courage to think you should do the right thing. This isn't anything to prove me, my butter. This is for you."

I smiled and nodded in understanding.

"Yeah... yeah... peacock, we get it. You're being an emotional blah blah blah. Can we get going now?" Vichitra asked, showing attitude to him.

"Ignore the cat," I told him.

"Well, since you are so excited to go." He picked up the cat from the scruff like a lioness picking up her troublesome cub. "How about you stay there? Naraka anyway lacks cats."