9. The Checkpoint

Jason, Nick and you continued to secure the next wing with dynamite. The Colonel staying behind to continue his work on investigation on what exactly that thing was that Salim had killed. You could only hope that he would look out for Salim if anything bad would happen. The three of you came to a open room, with even more statues. Two of what appeared to be an animal of some sort, and another giant Pazuzu at the steps.

"This is, wow". You couldn't even find the words for it. These giant statutes were ancient.
"How could mankind back then create such amazing sculptures". You added.

"Wonder how many places like this we've buried without a second thought". Nick nudged Jason.
"Stuff like this is better off in the dust". He replied. You bent down to pick up a carved tablet, embracing the creativity of it. You couldn't quite understand the description of it.

"These people didn't ask for this war". Nick replied in a soft tone to Jason.

"Why are you defending the enemy sergeant?" Jason questioned him. You flipped the tablet over to find even more carvings. These you could almost make out what looked like a couple horses pulling something behind them.

"You and I both know they're not all our enemies. Fuck Jason". This grabbed your attention, hearing Jason so mindlessly dismiss all of the people in Iraq as enemies.

"This about the girl at the checkpoint?" Jason asked him.
"What checkpoint?" You asked, standing up to them and listening. Nick remained silent.
"Shit Nick how many times? We thought she had a bomb". Jason defended himself. You were still confused.

"It was just a bag of groceries. We fucked up". He answered him. Widening your eyes you turned to Jason. He glared at you.
"I gave him the order to shoot the woman because she wasn't listening to us. We made it loud and clear". He explained to you.
"You... shot a civilian?" You questioned very lowly.

"That girls death is getting under your skin buddy". Jason spoke.

"Yes it is. Is it not getting under yours?!".
"Mailman Two-One Actual, request update. Over". Eric's voice interrupted the moment.

"Two-One Actual receiving. Cameras are green, and holes are demolished". Jason responded.

"Good work marines, sweep through the eastern corridor and be on your guard". The colonel responded. You began down a set of steps, to a room with a large hole in the middle of it. The first thing you noticed was the different smell. The second thing you noticed was all of the bones around you, scattered in the room.

"Over here". You called as you bent down up on a skeleton of a woman with an explorers hat. A metal stake through her bones. Jason bent down beside you.

"The fuck she do to deserve that?" He questioned. You pulled the stake from her bones.

"Pretty sure those creatures didn't do this. You should hold onto this Lieutenant. Never know when you're going to need a sharped stake". You handed it to him. He wrapped his hand around yours to take it from you, and you could've sworn for a quick second you saw him blush on contact.

"All these bones. What the hell happened here?" You turned away from him flustered.
"Your guess is as good as mine". Nick answered you. You wondered further down.

"Hey hold up, this looks like a good chokepoint. Any of those freaks coming up from below are sure to pass through here. Mount the cameras, deploy the explosives on the pillars". Jason spoke. Nick handed you two cameras as Jason and Nick went to work on mounting the explosives. You could hear Nick sigh before Jason spoke to him, across from you.

"I can hear your brain ticking, what's up man". Jason asked.

"We should've given her a second warning". He spoke.

"Fuck man! I wish I hadn't asked. I'm through talking about this". Jason yelled. You finished the second camera and walked over to them. You still didn't know exactly what they were talking about but you could see Nick was very bothered by it, and Jason was dismissing it.
"Is that so?" Nick questioned.

"What's left to say? You knew that checkpoint was a hotspot for suicide bombers. We had to act. We had to make a call".

"It was the wrong call". Nick replied, focusing back to the dynamite. You began to turn around before Nick spoke again.

"Why is it no one ever tells it straight? They just make up bullshit to get by. That's why we're in this sandbox in the first place. Right Y/N?" Nick stopped you. You stopped and turned around at his sudden disrespect.

"How were we supposed to know we were going to be wrong? How were we supposed to know that we'd be fighting demons, let alone Iraqis once we got off the helo?" You responded to him in your defense. Which wasn't much of a defense, because you were already rotting on this touchy subject.

"Knock it off man". Jason came to your protection. Nick walked up to Jason.

"I just want the truth Jason. Shooting that woman messed with my head. Are you really going to tell me that it didn't mess with yours?" He questioned his superior. You were also eager to hear Jason's answer.

"Those demons down there, will kill you. But the demons in here?" He gestured to his brain. "Will eat you from the inside out. You gotta let it go man". He finished.

"Oh, so that's you? All moved on?"
"Yes. I have. I sure as hell have". He replied sternly, walking away from the two of you further down the room.

There he was again, the same cold heartless Jason Kolchek when you first met him.
You were kinda disappointed in his answer to Kay, now very clear of the situation they were bickering about. Deep down inside, Jason must've cared. How could someone be so merciless.

The Enemy of my Enemy [JASON KOLCHEK x FEM READER]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें