28. The Surface

Reaching the temple where you were once held up, you became surrounded by vampires once more. Merwins dead body no where in sight.

"Push back the doors, I'll find something to shut them!" You told Jason and Eric, running to grab a 4x4 and locking it between the two doors. As soon as you finished this, the doors opened as the vicious and hungry vampires had burst through.

Getting to your feet quickly you ran back, shooting back and forth at them with your AK-47 until one of them had swooped on you. Pushing it back as much as you could with your AK across your chest, your efforts were interrupted as loud heavy gunfire rang in the air, the vampire quickly lunging off of you. You got to your feet turning back to see Rachel manhandling a machine gun.

"Now we're talking!" She shouted, continuing to shoot in your direction. Pushing past her and shooting your AK your own, you made your way past Jason, who released a shout as he faced one of the set of doors his own.

"This is our house! Our rules!" He released fire on the vampires squeezing through the doors. Making your way toward Eric who was pushing against another set of doors. You came to his aid quickly as the two of you opened the doors.

"Move out!" You shouted at everyone below you. You were certain none of them had heard you through the gunfire but to your surprise they were ready. The group traveled through the corridor, up and down some stairs until you came up on a dead end. You noticed a gleam of light coming from above the statue that had fell over and pushed itself against the ground above.

"The statue!" You shouted at them, leading them toward it. Jason jumped over the mound of dirt, taking your hand and pulling you up. The ground was shaking severely now, as the group went up another set of stairs until you came to a large stone hand.

The ground shook once more, causing you to lose your balance but Salim beside you had pulled his arm around your lower waist to prevent you from falling, and then switched sides with you so you were closer to safety. Jason had noticed this hand placement of his, scuffing but thankful still that Salim had caught you. A hole of light was shining above. Rachel took out her rope and swung it to the surface causing you to have to climb once more.

"Hold onto me Y/N". Jason told you, gripping your waist close to him as it was now your turn to climb the rope. Jason's hands weren't as warm as Salims was. You nodded to him and clutched onto him.

~
Collapsing onto your back to the hot ground, you breathed the fresh air. The sun beat down on you, reminding you why you were wearing a tank top.

"We made it!" Rachel's voice exclaimed from feet away. You held your eyes closed, the darkness below making you forget how light it was up here, and your eyes needed the time to adjust back. Your peace was interrupted by movement over you.

Opening your eyes slowly, Jason loomed over you, pinning you to the ground. You smiled at him, wiping some of the dirt from his nose. He smiled back.

"I told you we were going to make it out". He told you, gripping your hand with his own, releasing and then leaning closer to your face.

"Is this okay?" He asked before leaning in more, searching in your eyes. You nodded.

"Jesus Jason, you've already kissed me once. Just fucking do it again!" You exclaimed, pulling his face with your hands until your lips locked once again. This time the kiss was more passive and passionate, as if the both of you were celebrating each other.

As for the others, Rachel and Eric seemed to be speaking privately about something. Possibly their relationship and where it was going from there. Nick and Salim, poking fun at the two love struck survivors, in the sand.

Pulling away, Jason looked all over your face before speaking in soft voice despite his raspy southern accent.

"God, you are so beautiful". He told you, brushing a strand of hair from your face. A grin formed hard on your face as he smirked at the satisfaction of making you smile. You touched his dimples as he did this.

"You're not too bad yourself, Lieutenant Kolchek". You poked at him, staring back into those brown eyes of his.

Despite only knowing Jason for less than 24 hours, you were so attracted to him. Possibly in love with him.... Well he wasn't a bad kisser anyway.

Jason couldn't believe he had such strong feelings for the same girl that made the mistake of thinking she was superior to him. He couldn't believe he broke his own rulescatching feelings for someone in the line of duty.

The tension that had built up since then was not obscure from either party. Jason felt himself protecting you. And even getting a little jealous. Even he knew he was feeling something much more deeper than doing his job.

Jason helped you to your feet to regroup with the others.

"I got ahold of the air force. They're sending in medevac for us. We just have to wait it out for a little". Eric told you all, catching attention to your injury.

"We'll want to get that looked at as soon as possible, sergeant". He told you, pointing to your injury. You nodded eagerly.

"I have to return to my son". Salims voice spoke up, gripping the pole in his hands tighter. "He must be worried about me". He laughed.

A strange darkness began to fork over the group now. Everyone looked up, to your surprise an eclipse was happening.

Wait. An eclipse was happening.

You remembered the notes of the eclipse that you read below. But before you were able to inform the others, a vampire flung over the eclipse.

You watched in horror as everything was happening all over again.

"Inside one of the huts, now!" The colonel had shouted to your group as your ran toward it. The sky was swarming with the vampires now.

"The eclipse, it activated them. It'll be over soon". You informed them as you were all gathering inside the hut, the screeches of the vampires leaving no room for slowness.

"Soon?! How soon?!" Nick shouted, pointing his gun at one of the holes in the roof above him.

"Five minutes, they normally last about five minutes".

And then the vampires began to attack, again.