23. The Parasite

"That was a close one back there". Jason grinned, handing a high-five to Nick.

"Where the hell have you guys been?" Nick answered with. You spoke for Jason.

"We took the lift down here– next thing we know we stumbled upon a man that was half alive, and now all these damn cocoons. What about you guys?"

"Well I'm afraid our Iraqi fan was disassembled. It gave us some time so get away. Then we got chased by this... I don't know what. Some man it seemed like, ancient. Like a fucking zombie or something. We got away, saw the Lieutenants initials in the dirt, and here we are". Nick answered with.

Salim gritted his teeth at the mention of his Captain. "These are vampires". He corrected Nick.

"This is some kind of music system". Rachel's voice interrupted your group. She was messing with the altar before you, swirling her finger around as the sound came from the altar. Papers stuck to the wall caught your attention. Drawings, of the vampires, their hands. A circle chart that read:

Hunts victims

Plants parasite

Parasite spreads

Host death

Parasite takes over

This was what happened to Clarice you thought, ripping the page off of the wall in anger. You returned to them.

"It's singing". Salim said excitedly, looking the altar up and down and shutting the book he had found, with Rachel beside him. She stepped back a little, bumping into you. You noticed she had placed a hand on her stomach. You put your hand on her shoulder.

"Are you okay?" You asked her. She nodded simply.

"There's meaning here". Salim added and began swirling the circles engraved with Rachel. A whistling noise came from the pipes above as they did so, howling and stopping you all in your tracks.

"Woah". You marveled at the mysterious noise.

"In the book, Mary thought these carvings represented the stars. She thought the creatures were once peaceful. That their language was music. Then a great tragedy fell upon them. Their great empire collapsed. Their music fell silent– and then they turned on each other". Salim informed you all, flipping through the pages in the book.

"What happened to them? A sickness?" You questioned the Iraqi as if he knew.

"What the hell turned them into killers?". Jason added onto you.

"Now they're animals of hate. No one left to kill". Nick was piecing together what the Iraqi was telling.

"No one left to kill but us". The Colonel who was silent had spoken. A loud scream came from behind you as you noticed Rachel was on her hands and knees with a knife in her hands. You never even realized that the officer had wandered away from your group— paying so close attention to what Salim was teaching you.

"Rachel!" Eric yelped, as the group of you ran to her. She had a white phosphorus cap in her hands. As soon as the group noticed this, you kept your distance from her.

"Oh no no no no no". Nick got down on his hands and knees, just feet from her. "Don't do that". He pleaded with her. Rachel froze, breathing heavily.

"It's inside of me". She whimpered hopelessly.

"What is inside of you Rache?" Eric questioned.

You knew what was inside of her. The parasite.