Chapter 9

NICOLE

A week had passed after that torrential event that took place in the mansion.

Up till now, just the thought of what took place that uneventful night still shook me to my bones. I struggled to get the image of Raphael's bleeding shoulder out of my head.

Seeing how ruthless Armani was to his own grandchildren made me realise how frightening Raphael's childhood would have been.
I felt so sorry for Raphael. He grew up in harsh conditions. Though filthy rich, he was already burdened up with life responsibilities as a child.

Getting initiated into a mafia from a young age without having the tiniest clue of what he was getting himself into proved to be so fatal for his childhood.
I found myself praying so fervently for my dear husband. I truly didn't like seeing him in pain.
It broke me into agonising pieces watching him bleed so much that night.

One thing I prayed for was for Armani to never visit us again. It was truly for the best.

Raphael took a week off from work, attending to his injury. I was the one who coaxed him into taking a week off.
Left to him, he didn't mind working with a badly injured shoulder.

That man was so relentless.
I took good care of him within that one week, making sure he had all he needed in his beck and call.

I was his personal maid. In a way, I didn't know if I was being selfish but probably it was a good thing Raphael got injured.
He got to spend more time with me instead of always leaving for work.

I enjoyed every single bit of it. Sleeping next to my husband every night, cuddling him and waking up in his soft, warm embrace was so thrilling.

Now he was out for work. I felt like a baby being denied candy. I grumbled all through, begging him to stay back but he insisted he had urgent things to attend to.

Once again, I woke up without meeting my husband in my arms. He had probably gone out before anybody woke up.

I sighed and swiftly came down from the bed.
My hair was so dishevelled. It looked like a bird's nest.

I had gone natural since we arrived in Italy. I didn't feel like braiding my hair again. I guess I would have to ask Sofia to show me a salon so I could make my hair and probably look more enticing for Raphael.

I smiled at the thought and was about venturing into the bathroom when I spotted a note on top of the little cupboard next to the bed.
I walked over with curious thoughts and I took the note, reading its content.

It was from Raphael. A smile crept to my face as I read it.

How are you sweetie?
I know you must be smiling reading this.

I rolled my eyes with a sigh. Cocky jerk.

I'm so sorry I am now leaving for work earlier than usual. You know if it were up to me, I'll want to stay in your arms all day long and snuggle up close with you.

I'm so sorry my dear wife. But I promise to be back early today. I've missed falling asleep in your arms.
I love you.

A broad grin spread across my face and I pressed the note against my chest.
"I love you too Raphael"

He was so romantic. I drop the note with a blush and made way to the bathroom.