Chapter 17

RAPHAEL

  I drove speedily on the highway like I had a second life, hands furiously manoeuvring the steering wheel of my car and honking at cars I felt were blocking my path.

  My heart was pounding so fast as I drove. My heart, my mind, my entire body; they were no longer in sync. It felt like my entire body was dying.
Nicole's anguish and painful scream was still resounding in my ears.

  My entire world suddenly felt so bleak and dark. If anything happened to Nicole...God! I didn't just want to think of what would happen to me.

"Fuck it! Get the fuck out of the way!"I yelled in bitter rage at a car in front of me.
  I noticed the stares I got from other drivers on the road, some were probably cursing me but I could care less about their reactions.

  I needed to get to Viale Regina Elina. I needed to get to Nicole.
I could feel tears pooling in my eyes as I drove. Nicole's screams were making my heart bleed. This fear I felt was so suffocating.
I couldn't even think straight at this point. I was loosing my sanity.

  Nicole said the brake pedals of the car weren't working.
That was very strange. I made sure all my cars are in good working condition. I never had faulty cars. I changed cars consistently and made sure they were all serviced.

   So how did the brake pedals of her car stop working? How?!
My eyes widened as realisation immedately dawned on me.
  This wasn't an accident. This was an assassination attempt on my wife.
But from who?

Suddenly I remembered Ivan's threat and my heart sank to its deepest abyss.  But my house was secured as fuck. No intruder or spy could get inside.

This was clearly done by someone from the inside. Someone from the inside is trying to get rid of my wife.
This wasn't an accident.

  The muscles in my jaw clenched with my Adam's apple gobbling repeatedly as I increased the acceleration of my car.
God helps whoever is responsible for this accident.
I'll give this betrayer the most agonising painful death they could ever imagine.

Nobody touches my wife and goes scot free. Nobody.

* * * * * * *

    Crowds were gathered and they obstructed my view. I quickly pulled over and got down from my car with thumping heart. I was at Viale Regina Elina.
  I could hear various murmurings making its way out of the crowd. I pushed through the crowd to get a view of what caught their attention. My heart shattered the moment I saw what they were all looking at.

  There were a million tiny fragments of broken glasses littered everywhere. Two cars were terrible damaged. One was damaged the most. Damaged beyond repair. It's front was smashed and squeezed like a helpless fruit.

It had its windscreen thoroughly broken and it's bonnet opened with foggy smoke coming out of it. The door to the driver seat was wide open, swaying carelessly from its hinges and blood was on the seat, dripping down to the ground.
That was Nicole's car.

  My hands pulled across my mouth as I suppressed the urge to scream.
The police was already at the scene, securing it with tapes and not letting onlookers come close.

"I pity for whoever was in the blue car"I heard someone apologetically say behind me.
I quickly turned with reddened eyes to face who was talking.

"It was a woman. You should have seen her face. Blood everywhere"A feminine voice replied as she shook her head with a sorry look on her face.

  "P-please in quale ospedale sono stati portati- what hospital where they taken to?"I asked immedately and also frantically. My palms became so sweaty and my foreheads were covered in luminous sweat beads.

  She tilted her head slightly as her brows creased before snapping her fingers together in delight. "Yes. Cassa Centrale Policlinico Umberto hospital"

  "T-thank you s-so much"
God even my voice was shaky.
She gave me a soft smile and I quickly scrambled my feet out of the crowd, hitting people as I ran to my car.

  Once inside, I wasted no time in igniting the engine and speeding off, leaving a trail of dust behind.

I'm coming for you Nicole.

* * * * * * *

"Please an accident victim was brought in here not too long ago. A female. Please where is her ward?" I asked pleadingly at  the nurses who were stationed at the counter the minute I dashed into the hospital.

  They all scanned my appearance, from my dishevelled hair to creased shirt and agitated face.
"Are you her husband?"One of them asked with furrowed brows.

  In a flick, my expression changed and I angrily hit my already balled up fist on the counter startling them and attracting the attention of onlookers.

"Will you tell me where her ward is!?" I growled in exasperation.
  They all jerked in their seat and stared at me wide eyed.

I gave them all hard stares, my eyes flashing with anger as my chest heaved repeatedly. One of them quickly opened up a book and her eyes scanned through it.

  She fearfully told me where Nicole's ward was, her lips trembling as she spoke. In an instant, I swiftly moved towards the direction of Nicole's ward without even passing second glances at the now frightened nurses.

   My feet were racing faster than ever. The hospital halls were so busy.  Doctors, nurses and patients were all scattered about giving the hospital this oozing scent of drugs and blood. I almost felt like gagging.

  I pushed through everybody and ran towards Nicole's ward.
My chest hit against her ward door which was wide open. I couldn't get a good view of Nicole as multiple nurses and a doctor surrounded her.

  Was her condition that serious?
My world was crumbling and I tried so hard to hold back my tears.

  "Ha perso molto sangue- she has lost a lot of blood. Get me three A positive blood bags and intravenous stat!" The doctor bellowed.

  I stood there watching helplessly, unable to move or react. I could only watch them struggle to save my wife.

"Doctor! We are loosing a lot of blood and her pulse is failing. The patient isn't breathing!"A nurse let out a frantic cry as they vehemently tried to stop Nicole's heavy bleeding.

  "What!?"I heard myself scream out. None of them even looked at my direction.

Anxiety kicked in, fear gripped me and horror was written all over my face. My world vanished of its colour with my heart beginning to beat rapidly, my knees dropping to the ground.

  My mind was in disarray and shambles as memories I and Nicole shared flashed through my mind.
This woman had brought me to my knees.

  Tears spilled out of my face, my eyes glued to Nicole's lifeless body on the hospital bed, the medical practitioners frantically trying to save her life.

"God if you exist please I'm begging you, save my wife. Dio ti prego salvia mia moglie. Nicole don't leave me please"