Chapter 18

RAPHAEL

  "Chest compressions now!" I heard the doctor command in a haste. They were all restless, doing their best to save Nicole.
  I almost forgot to breathe as I stared at was what going on. It felt like air had been sucked from my lungs. I cried more, my heart piercing into multiple pieces.

  I had never been this scared before in my life. The thought of not ever seeing life in those beautiful dark brown eyes got me quivering.

This was the most painful experience I had ever gone through. Pain was an understatement of what I was going through. It felt like I was dying.

My sanity was slipping out of me and my heart beat was increasing at a rapid pace.
I watched a nurse place a resuscitator and mask on her face.

The doctor instantly cut open her shirt and placed the defibrillator pads on her chest. The machine is turned on and it begins beeping as the doctor speaks.

"Move away from patient. Monitoring heart beat. Steady. Shock will be delivered in three, two, one!"

I watch in fear as Nicole's body jolts, the electrical pulse coursing through her.

"She isn't responding doctor!"A nurse alarms.

"Please Nicole don't leave me. I can't live without you. I can't go on without you please. Please come back to me. Please Nicole. You can't leave your Raphael. Please"I whispered, crying for the only woman I had ever truly loved, the woman whom my heart beats for.
I don't give a fuck if anyone sees me as weak at this moment.

I was truly in my weakest state. My mind was in turmoil. My heart repeatedly slammed against its rib cages, the muscles ceasing to function with my heart sinking towards the deepest pits of my worst fears.
  I swear I will make whoever did this to my woman pass through hell.
I'll give them the most agonising, painful, torturous death they could ever imagine.

"Shock will be delivered in three, two, one! Again!"The doctor's already  hoarse voice commanded.

  A wave of panic ensued in the atmosphere as both the doctor and nurses didn't stop for a moment, trying tirelessly to save my wife's life.
  About thirty compressions were delivered until Nicole breathed out.

Relief washed over my face the moment I heard her gasp and suck in breath. The sinking, agonising painful feeling gradually began washing away as Nicole began breathing.
    The doctor tirelessly administered defibrillator shocks and compressions before Nicole's heart began beating once more.

"She's alive! She is breathing"a nurse happily cries out.

Finally!
Colour finally washed over her pale face and her body glimmered with life in it.

  I stood from the ground and cleaned my tears immedately, a broad smile making its way to my face.

"God thank you. Thank you so much"I silently said, grateful to whatever supernatural being was responsible for bringing my wife back.

Nicole's chest heaved, falling and rising slowly with every breath she takes. Her breathing was finally stabilised.

  The doctor administered some other drugs through the drip into her veins.
Happiness was saturated in all their faces.

At that moment he finally turns to face me and I noticed how multiple sweat beads were littered across his forehead.

  He gives me a warm smile and takes out a handkerchief from a pocket in his white apparel, using it to wipe the sweats of his face.

  I immedately rushed over to him, engulfing him in a hug.  He seems very stunned but gradually returns the hug.

"Thank you so much! Thank you. Thank you for saving my wife. Thank you so much doctor"I thanked him profusely and he gave me a pleasant smile.

"You must really love her" he slowly admits. My eyes dart to Nicole's now resting form on the bed and it narrows back to him.

"I do. I do a lot. She is my life"I exclaimed in pure glee. My eyes sparkled. I felt like a baby given candy.

My wife was brought back from death. She wouldn't leave me.

"Well you should thank the driver of the car she crashed on to. He is the one you should be thanking"the doctor confessed with a sigh.

  I gave him curious brows. "Why?"

He sighed once more and patted my shoulder. "He is in the next ward fighting for his own life. Fortunately and unfortunately for your wife, according to the reports from the people who brought in both of them, he was diverting towards the highway when your wife's car suddenly rammed into his. His car literally saved your wife's life. Imagine if it was truck she crashed into or worse, she crashed into a building. That would have been very fatal. She is very fortunate just that she lost a lot of blood in the process"the doctor explained.

Wow. I had totally forgotten that two cars were involved in this accident.
This young man indirectly saved my wife's life.

I rubbed my temples and exhaled.
I'll go see him later. I'm truly grateful to him, whoever he is.

  Now, I just wanted to stay with my wife.
"Doctor lo vedŕo più tardi- doctor I'll see him later" I said to the doctor in Italian.

He gave me a nod.
"Your wife would wake up soon ok. Her heart has a regular rhythm right now. She just needs to rest"

  I thanked him once again and watch him exit the ward. The nurses followed suit but not before checking on Nicole.

   I pulled a stool and sat next to my wife, eyes glued on her tranquilised state. The mask was still placed over her face but she was breathing.
That was the good news.
Finally she was alive!

I still couldn't believe I almost lost my wife today. I almost lost her to the cold hands of death.

  My eyes whipped to the electrocardiography machine placed next to Nicole's bed. It was measuring her heart rate and it seemed to beat normal.

  I exhaled so deeply once more. My hands trailed to Nicole's one hand out of their own will. They both grasped on to her soft, warm fingers. My large fingers covered hers and I kissed them, placing her hand on my lips.

"Nicole I'm so glad you are breathing. I was so scared that I lost you. You truly had no idea how I felt"I said to a sleeping Nicole, tears streaming down once again.
  I had no idea if she could hear me.

I smiled admist my tears.
Damn. The ruthless, cold hearted and dangerous don that scared the wits of my men had vanished and sitting here was a man crying for his wife.
This woman had really brought me to my knees.

"Saremo sempre insieme- we will always be together" I whispered to Nicole's calm features.

I watched her sleep peacefully, my eyes glued to her chest that heaved slowly and repeatedly.

  I gradually rested my head on her bed, my hands not leaving hers for a second, relishing the feel of her warm skin that now had life coursing through them.

"Ti voglio bene Nicole- I love you nicole"

I truly did love her.
And I'll always love her.