Chapter 62

NICOLE

   It's heartbreaking to discover that the one person you thought would never turn their back against you is the one now serving you pain. It's more heartbreaking when you look into their eyes and you see those warm orbs, once clothed in care and affection now carrying nothing but hate and disgust for you.

   It is honestly tragic to know that the person you thought was the best part of your life carried just a mask which hid the ruthless and demon side of him.

If anyone ever told me that Raphael could treat me like this, I would have definitely not believed and call the person a liar. Thomas had kept me company till I had fallen asleep and now I was left to my disheartening thoughts.

  Here I was, receiving all the pain, heart break and lies all wrapped together. It was an unending labyrinth of secrets for me.
I wanted to know who the backstabber was yet I got myself caught in the web of lies instead.
And I fear I may not have enough time left.

  My life was hanging on the brink and I know that whenever I come face to face with Raphael, I'll feel devasted, lonely, subdued and the heartache of all that has happened will kill me first before he even kills me.

  My eyes slowly fluttered open once again the moment I felt a sharp sting of pain and the darkness welcomed me in mixed with the rotten stench of the cellar.

I couldn't even tell if it was day or night. Spotting a figure in the darkness of my cellar, I sat up straight and noticed the one face I never thought would show up for me.

"Mr Micheal!" I exclaimed. Probably he would believe me.
He smiled at me and walked towards me.
  I glanced at the iron bars of the cellar and saw they were slightly opened.
"I've been watching you sleep little girl"

"Mr Micheal, please help me talk to your son Raphael. I didn't do any of these I swear" I pleaded immedately hoping he would give me a listening ear the way Thomas did.

  Michael gave me puckered brows. "And why should I talk to Raphael?"

I stared at him in disbelief, "Because I am innocent. I am innocent of all the allegations"

"Ofcourse I know you are innocent Nicole" he said to my uttermost shock. My heart pounded and I could suddenly see a silver lining of hope rearing its head across my ugly fate.

"Are you really serious Mr Micheal? If you know I'm innocent then why don't you want to convince Raphael to set me free? Please there are people after your son's life. They will kill Raphael. You've already lost Maya, don't loose Raphael too" I said, my voice hoarse.

He gave a sickly smile which got me on my toes as I watched him.
"Why should I convince Raphael to set you free when I'm the one who wants him dead?"

My eyes widened in fear and my jaws dropped to the ground. I felt a gag but I supressed my discomfort.
"What? You want your son dead? I don't understand you" my mind was in turmoil and nothing was making sense any more.

  I stared blankly at him as an uncanny smile played on his lips.
"Yes I want him dead but you've been such a thorn in my flesh little girl and you keep being such a brat!" Micheal leaned forward and slapped me hard causing me to fall to the muddy ground.

  I coughed out and writhed in pain before forcing my body up to stare at the monster in front of me.
"I don't understand why you are doing this to me, to us. What will you gain?" My lips shuddered as I spoke.

  Micheal was silent and he only gave me formidable stares.
Suddenly I gasped out as everything became clear to me.
"You are the ghost. The one person Raphael has been trying to find. You are the mastermind behind everything. You killed Maya and you are working with miles"