19

As soon as Renjun hung up his phone he wept. He stood carefully and walked toward the elevators. He saw Jaemin pacing and ran into his arms.
"Shh, Shh, what's wrong? Is everything ok?" He asks nervously. Renjun nods his head yes and catches his breath.
"He's awake. He's awake." He says softly in Jaemin's embrace. He lets out a relieved sigh.
"That's great, happy tears?" He questions with a smile.
"Yes, happy." Mark walks up and joins their hug too.
"Are you ready to go? I took care of everything, I'll drive you." Renjun smiles appreciatively.
"Thanks guys." He says backing away. Jaemin waves them off and heads back to work.
Renjun tries to control his tears as they drive there, but he's struggling. Mark takes his hand.
"It's ok to cry, let it out ok? I don't mind." He lets go long enough to get him a Kleenex then takes his hand again.

When they finally arrive, it felt like forever to Renjun. He's nervous, he's not sure the exact reason but part of him wonders if Jeno really does want to see him. Mark notices him slowing as they get to the door and he stops.
"What's wrong?" Renjun clears his throat and looks away.
"W-what if he doesn't want me here? I don't want to be a burden." Mark softens considerably and hugs him.
"Of course he wants to see you." Donghyuck bursts out the door knowing that they had arrived thanks to a text from Mark.
"What's wrong?" Mark smiles and pulls Renjun into his side.
"He's nervous that Jeno may not want him here." Donghyuck scoffs with a frown present.
"He needs to see you, go. Mark and I will take a walk so you can have some time." Mark nods and smiles, encouraging the other to go.
He timidly opens the door and walks in slowly. When he sees him lying there, looking right at him his heart thumps hard in his chest.
"Hi." He says softly as he barely touches the back of his hand. Jeno won't have it though as he grabs his hand and laces their fingers.
"Hi." Renjun starts to tear up again so Jeno holds his arms open.
"Will you hug me?" He asks with a soft smile. Renjun nods and gently hugs him.
"I was so scared." He whispers. Jeno rubs his back.
"You amaze me, Junie." Jeno says.
"Huh?" Renjun responds with rosy cheeks, because of the nickname.
"You have done so much for me, and I can't thank you enough." He leans back and Jeno takes the opportunity to kiss him on the lips and to say that Renjun wasn't ready is an understatement. It wasn't long but the feeling of his lips pressed with Jeno's is a feeling that he will never forget. His cheeks grow warmer but none the less he leans in and plants a longer one.
"I missed you so much." He whispers onto his lips.
"I'm here now, and I don't like it." Jeno pouts.
"Why, what's wrong? Are you in pain?" Renjun asks quickly, to which the other softly smiles and touches his cheek.
"I want to be home with my babies, and you." He says bravely.
"I want to have tea with you before I take you home, I want to pick you up and drive you to the gym. I want to sit on the floor next to you and play with my cats." He says still pouting. Renjun's smile stretches as he stands and goes into a little cupboard and pulls out two tea bags. He excuses himself and gets two cups of hot water. Jeno feels emotional watching this.
"I was so used to having tea with you every night." He says shrugging as he shyly looks away.
"Except of course when I didn't know where you were." Jeno takes his hand again and kisses it.
"I'm sorry." He whispers with tears in his eyes.
"Hey, you did what you had to, you are a hero." He rolls his eyes and looks away.
"No really Jeno, I don't mean walking in stupid parades type of hero. I mean, those flowers and the Teddy there, they are from the two people you saved and look." He pulls out his sketch book and opens it to his most recent sketch, it is his hand being held by another small one. He creases his brow.
"That is the hand of the little girl you saved, they have been coming in to check on you periodically and she always holds your hand and says thank you."
Jeno is crying now.
"So yes you scared the shit out of all of us and you are never alowed to do it again but this time we make an exception." Renjun leans over and hugs him softly. They sip tea together for a few more minutes before the exhaustion creeps in.
"Renjun I'm tired, I have to sleep." Renjun nods understanding and helps him get settled before kissing his cheek.
"Sleep well, I'll be here when you wake ok?" Jeno nods sleepily with a small smile and quickly falls asleep. It isn't too long after that Mark and Donghyuck come back.
"Did you get to talk for a while? Just this morning he fell asleep twice, mid conversation even. The doctor says it's normal because his heart is healing and even little things will wear him out in the beginning." Renjun nods and smiles softly.
"I'm going to step out for a minute to make a call." Renjun says quietly, wanting Jeno to get all the rest that he can. He quickly gets done on the phone and heads back in. The three make quiet conversation while Jeno sleeps, until there is a knock. Renjun gets up quickly and answers it. Donghyuck is surprised as he recognizes the mother and child. He quickly stands to greet them and they of course hug him and thank him profusely. Renjun fills them in on the fact that they have been visiting and he promised to call her when he woke up. As Donghyuck and Mark speak with her Renjun leads the girl to the corner of the room and they play the candy land board game he brought in for her after their first visit. They played at least one game every time since so Renjun wants to keep it up, besides he wants to break his losing streak.
When Jeno wakes, at first no one notices. He looks around, hearing hushed voices and sees Mark and Donghyuck talking to a woman and Renjun sitting cross legged on the floor with a child. He smiles softly, not sure if it's a dream or not. Soon Mark stands and walks over to give him a soft hug.
"Hey, it's good to see you man." Jeno just smiles and nods his head toward the woman, in question.
"Renjun would you like to introduce your friends?" Mark asks. He looks up from his highly concentrated game of candy land and smiles excitedly.
"Yes of course." He grabs the girls hand who shyly follows behind him.
"Jeno, I'd like you to meet two people who are really happy to know you are awake. This is Wendy and her daughter Jisoo." Wendy walks up and touches the back of his hand before she starts to cry.
"I can't thank you enough for what you did. You saved our lives from a monster. He was my boyfriend at one time but he was too violent so I left him and he was able to find us. Before you two came I really thought we would die. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. Jeno nods and swallows thickly as he feels his cheeks starting to wet. He takes her hand and squeezes it.
"I would do it again." He says simply. When she steps away Renjun walks up with Jisoo. She's reluctant at first but once she starts talking, it seems she won't stop.
"Thank you mister. My mommy was always sad and scared and then the day I turned this many, that mean man found us." She cutely hold up 4 fingers with a big smile.
"When you and officer Hyuckie came in to rescue us we were so happy. But then we were sad because you got hurt and we were scared for you. We came and visited while you were sleeping and played games with Junie. I still sometimes see that man in my dreams and it scares me so much that I have to sleep with my mommy. Why are you crying? Are you sad or hurt?" He shakes his head no.
"I'm happy that you are ok but I want you to know that thanks to officer Hyuckie, you don't have to be scared anymore." She smiles brightly and reaches up so Renjun helps her and she wraps her arms around his neck.
After visiting for a little over an hour they decide to leave, Jisoo goes to Jeno first and takes his hand in hers and kisses it before saying thank you. She then does the same to Donghyuck and waves cutely to Mark. When she gets to Renjun she holds out her hand to his, he of course takes it.
"I'll be back to beat you at candy land again, soon." He chuckles and leans down and gives her a hug. After a lot more hugs and a few more tears they walk out.