33

"I'm so nervous." Renjun says as they knock on the door.
"No need, she loves you already." Jeno says as he laces their fingers together. The door swings open almost instantly after that and Renjun's breath stops, only for a moment as she smiles brightly and pulls her son into her arms.
"Hi, I'm so happy you came. She says softly before she pulls back and looks at Renjun with what he can only describe as soft eyes and opens her arms.
"Is it ok if I hug you too?" She asks, he looks at Jeno who smiles gently and shrugs as if to say it was up to him. He slowly nods so she pulls him in for a soft hug. It's weird for him, not having a motherly hug for so long, but nice. She steps back and allows them to enter, Jeno takes his hand again and leads him in.
"Come on, I'll show you my bedroom." Jeno says pulling him along. They walk down a hallway filled with pictures.
"Is that him?" Renjun asks softly. Jeno slowly turns and looks.
"Yeah. It is." He says softly.
"You don't have any up." Renjun whispers.
"I did, but it was so hard to look at them everyday. It made me sad." Renjun hugs him and whispers.
"I love you." Jeno smiles softly and squeezes his waist.
"I love you baby." They separate after holding on for a little while and get to his bedroom door. When he opens it, it's like a time capsule, like it still houses a teenaged, sports loving boy. He has a simple navy comforter and a pillow in the shape of a basketball lying in his bed, wooden dresser and a closet with a full mirror. His walls are an off white color with a few posters.
"My mom doesn't want to pack away this part of our lives, she's gone through a lot and it's times like these that I feel really bad for fighting with her." Renjun just hums and nods along. He walks around, carefully getting a glimpse of Jeno's childhood, treating it like he's in a museum. Jeno comes up behind him and wraps his arms around his waist, kissing his neck softly.
"So, this was me." He says with a smile. Renjun turns and leans up to kiss his lips. It's soft, and slow and love filled.
"This is so great, thank you for sharing this part of your life with me." Jeno hums and kisses him back. He finds himself getting lost in Renjun's charms as the kiss is prolonged, at least until their is a throat clearing behind them.
"Oh, sorry mom." Jeno says slightly embarrassed, but it's nothing compared to the fire in Renjun's cheeks. He keeps his head down as the other two are talking and he honestly couldn't know what it was about, he was too distracted.
"Come on baby." He hears as he's being pulled out the door. He regains his composure as they both enter the kitchen behind his mother.
"Jeno sweetheart, can you please run to the store for me? I need some rice, I'm all out." He looks at Renjun.
"You want to come with?" She walks over and takes Renjun's hand, surprising both of them.
"I want him to stay and help me cook." She says eyeing Jeno. He sighs and smiles apologetically to Renjun because he knows he's scared but he has to give his mother a chance to get to know him so he will concede.
He walks up and kisses his forehead before whispering in his ear.
"You will be fine, I'll be back in ten minutes." Renjun nods and smiles awkwardly at her. After he leaves, after giving her a warning look, the one that says she better be nice, she pulls Renjun to sit on the couch.
"Don't we have to cook?" He asks nervously.
"I'm all ready, except for the rice of course. I just wanted to talk to you a little bit." Renjun feels like this is the part in the drama where hes handed a sum of money to stay away from her son. She seems nice on the outside but knowing what he knows he's not so sure.
"You look like you're terrified right now and I understand why but you don't have to be." She pats his leg until he looks up at her and smiles.
"I wanted to talk to you alone, in person to thank you." He frowns in confusion and she just smiles.
"It's for a number of things really, you took such good care of my precious son when he was healing. You were their every day, you took care of his cats and even slept on his couch. I'm amazed at your dedication because as far as I know you weren't even dating then?" He shakes his head no shyly.
"You made him fall in love again, I haven't seen him this happy in such a long time, especially since his father passed." She takes Renjun's hand.
"I don't know what he told you, if he told you about him but Jeno was always a mirror image of his father, he looks like him, talks like him, they have many of the same mannerisms so when he was hurt it was like I had to do it all again. I couldn't lose him too, I was terrified but I knew he had you to care for him and even though I wasn't too sure about you at first, I quickly felt a sense of comfort knowing he had you in his life." She wipes at the river of tears falling down her cheeks and so does he.
"When I heard the story of how he got hurt, my immediate thought was that he is indeed his fathers child. Anyway I want you to know that after a lot of deep thinking I came to understand that having grandchildren isn't what I need, what I need is a relationship with my son. I fully support him and I also fully support you two as a couple." She wipes her face more with a Kleenex.
"We should plan a dinner party for sometime soon and invite your parents? I would love to meet them too." Renjun cries harder.
"I'm sorry." He says sniffling.
"I don't have parents, or family. It sounds like it would be a lot of f-fun but yeah. I'm so sorry." He stands to walk away but is intercepted into her arms.
"I'm sorry. Come here." She rubs his back and hums softly. She holds him until he starts to pull away.
"Thank you." He says after he calms enough to back away.
"I didn't mean to get so emotional, it's just that you guys are so great and I just wish I had that too." She smiles brightly at him.
"We should probably get back in there before he gets back and catches us not cooking." She says looking around, Renjun giggles and follows along.
They busy themselves just in time but of course Jeno looks directly at Renjun's face when he walks in. He sets down the bag of rice and walks to him.
"Are you ok baby?" He asks, cupping both his cheeks. Renjun nods with a soft smile. Jeno stares a little longer into his eyes, he notices how puffy they are but he's going to leave it alone if he's truly ok.
"Promise?" He whispers. Renjun whispers back a yes before Jeno kisses his nose.
"I love you." He says making Renjun smile wider.
"I love you." He leans up and kisses his lips.
"Excuse me." Jeno's mom says with an obvious smile on her face.
"Sorry." Renjun says as he backs away from Jeno who finally looks at his mom.
"Wait, what happened. Why were you both crying?" She chuckles and opens her arms for a hug, which he willingly accepts.
"We were talking about family, it's a touchy subject as you know." He nods and leaves it alone.
"How about you two set the table for me while I finish everything up?"
After a delicious meal and a couple hours of just visiting the two finally decide to leave.
"Thank you for doing this baby, you made my mom so happy." Renjun smiles and takes his outstretched hand.
"I had a great time. You have a wonderful family." Jeno smiles and kisses the other's hand as he uses his full concentration on the drive.
They end up going to Renjun's apartment, as much as they both can't wait for him to move in he has to start packing and cleaning up. Jeno stays for a few hours until Renjun kicks him out to get a good nights sleep for his first full day on patrol.
As Renjun lays in bed, his mind goes over the earlier events and he smiles. Jeno's mother has redeemed herself in his eyes and Jeno seems to have forgiven her for everything in the past as well. He wishes he had a family to introduce to her but he knows that will never happen. He is thankful to have her in his life though, she gives great hugs and sometimes that's all a person needs is a mother's hug.