6.

We were allowed to sleep in the rain anyway, as it turned out shortly afterwards. We put up the tents for the soldiers and even then we could see where we were staying.
"Tomorrow morning before sunrise we'll go on!" Ser Alrik had shouted, while I looked for a large fir tree to lean against the trunk at its base. I was used to sleeping outside sometimes, that was my advantage. The disadvantage was the constant whining and ranting of the others and Arry cowering near me muttering various names. Over and over again. It almost drove me crazy. Not even the fingers in my ears helped. No, then Arry fell silent, but the snoring of the others still reached me.
I tossed and turned a few times until I finally got up and slipped away.
I saw the two guards sitting on a wooden stump with their backs to me and heard them laughing softly. I didn't really want to go to them, so I crept on in the other direction, deeper into the forest. It was still raining and I found it very difficult to find my way around because of the darkness, so I soon gave up wandering and settled under the next best tree. The snoring had become much quieter and exhausted as I was, sleep overtook me almost immediately....

"Lenn?! By the seven hells, what are you doing here so deep in the forest!"
I turned on my other side and grumbled sleepily. Gendry was standing in front of me, but I didn't want to get up yet. My legs still hurt, as did my back. In fact, everything about me hurt. I just wanted to sleep and rest. But I had done the maths without Gendry.
"Lenn, get up!" he repeated, shaking me by the shoulder. I growled and suddenly lunged for him. Slowly I rose, only getting my eyes open with difficulty.
"It's alright!", I grumbled irritably and stomped past him.
"No, it's not all right! Ser Alrik is already looking for you and raging!"
I snorted.
"Then let him rage! I just couldn't sleep with all that snoring last night!"
"Nor will you the next night," Ser Alrik's gruff voice now growled behind me and I ducked my head a little, "For you will be keeping watch with the others then! And don't you dare sleep!"
I rolled my eyes in annoyance and sighed softly before turning humbly to face him. I was uncomfortable as hell as I looked up at him.
"Yes, Ser," I muttered, wanting to throw up on his shoes in return.
Ser Alrik nodded and pointed to one of the carts.
"Grab some food and lend a hand! We've lost enough time because of you, lad!"
Before he could say anything more, I was already running, Gendry behind me in tow. Arry was carrying two buckets and looked at us questioningly.
"Where did you come from?"
"Lenn must have wanted to bunk," Gendry muttered and I gave him a dirty look.
"Only because of the snoring! It's a wonder the forest is still standing!"
"Never mind now," said Arry, "I have to go and get some water!"
"I'll come with you," I offered immediately and accepted a bucket. I just wanted to get away from all this armour and also away from Gendry. Arry followed me and together we walked through the forest to a small stream.
"I have to pee," Arry suddenly said quietly and was about to disappear into a bush, when I took the opportunity to clarify my question.
"Why don't you do it here, I don't care."
"No, that's disgusting!"
I put all my eggs in one basket.
"Why? Because you're a girl?"
Arry looked at me irritated and hesitated.
"I'm not a girl!"
"You hesitated! Don't lie to me, I can tell anyway! You're a girl, admit it!"
Arry hesitated further and I moved closer.
"It's just the two of us here. And I can be silent as the grave."
A sigh, then Arry lowered his head in shame.
"Okay, I'm a girl! My name isn't Arry, it's Arya.... But you really can't tell anyone!"
"You have my word."
Arya nodded and eyed me scrutinisingly. How long would it be before she asked me the same question? Should I tell her on my own? I decided against it. I was Lenn. Until I realised something essential - I, too, had to attend to my needs from time to time.
I shook my head curtly in thought and pointed my chin at the bushes.
"Hurry up. I'll make sure no one notices."
She nodded again gratefully and was off into the bushes too. Not a second too soon, because Hot Pie was suddenly behind me.
"Have you seen Arry?"
I turned to him and shrugged my shoulders, answering curtly.
"Went to see something for a minute. He should be right back."
I hated lying. I really hated it. But a lie wasn't as dishonourable as a broken promise, my father had once taught me that.
I remembered how I had taken a piece of bread from the kitchen for the neighbour's boy Torrin. Our family had already had little, but his even less. My mother had asked me about it afterwards and of course I denied it, as all children did. But of course my father saw right through me.
"Lena, that doesn't mean I think it's okay, but there's nothing worse than breaking your word. What you did was well-intentioned. White lies are allowed. But don't make a habit of it!"
This had been a white lie too. After all, I had promised Arya and what was a person who didn't keep her word?
"Oh well, okay, I'll see you in a bit then."
Hot Pie snapped me out of my reminiscence and hurried off as well. I didn't know what that meant now, but didn't give a damn either. I filled the buckets with water and hissed.
"Arry! Now hurry up!"
Arya immediately came out of the bushes and quickly straightened her trousers. Then she grabbed a bucket and returned to the rest. I took advantage of the opportunity for quiet and also quickly ducked into the bushes once more before following Arya. Who knew when I would get to it again without blowing my cover?
The march continued and was even more strenuous than the day before. Even though I resisted it, I prayed inwardly that we would reach Harrenhal quickly. Maybe I could find some peace there, despite all the enemies around me....