20.

"What's taking you so long for some water??? Didn't we just talk about punctuality yesterday, little one?"
I must have stayed away a really long time, because he was alone in the room again.
"Where are your helpers, my lord?", I dared to ask and he snorted in annoyance.
"Aides, pah! They are not helpers, they are all mindless lumps on my leg! I sent them away, talking to yourself is known to be done alone. Do you agree with me on that?"
I just nodded and was about to pour him water when he raised his hand.
"Make it diluted wine."
Again I nodded and added the jug of wine from earlier. Under his watch, I mixed the two in his cup, deliberately using more water than wine. He nodded his thanks.
"Sit down."
With a wave of his hand, he indicated the chair next to him and I immediately felt uncomfortable.
"Thank you, I prefer to stand, my lord."
"That wasn't a request, it was an order. Sit, now."
His voice brooked no argument. I gulped and took a seat, defenseless against his penetrating gaze.
"Do you have your family out in the courtyard?"
I know it was a question asked simply out of curiosity, but he hit my most sore spot with it and consequently I was instantly on the edge of my seat.
"No," I snarled softly, "why?"
He eyed me silently for a moment, then leaned forward a little in my direction.
"I was just wondering what else could have taken you so long if not for your family."
Was I supposed to inform him of what had just happened? I didn't even know the soldier's name, what good would it have done me? I decided against it.
"The blacksmith I came here with presented me with a freshly forged sword."
"So he did," the lord repeated, taking a sip of the wine, "Do you know anything about swords?"
"No, my lord. That is why I could not tell him anything about it."
"Have you even held a sword in your hand before?"
I just shook my head. I wish I had, it came into my head, but I bit my lips and kept silent.
"To be honest, I would have been surprised if it had been. But, as we all know, there's a first time for everything. Wait here."
He stood up leisurely and disappeared through the door to his bedchamber, only to return moments later with his sword.
"You are already familiar with the purpose of a sword, yes?" he asked with a sarcastic undertone, looking at me. As I had done with Gendry, I instinctively rolled my eyes and snorted.
"I may be from the countryside, but I'm not that stupid!", I replied snottily and blinked briefly, "Oh.... I beg your pardon, my lord, I-"
"Save it," was all he said, raising his hand. Then he unsheathed the sword, very slowly and carefully. It seemed as if the steel was singing as the sound was lost in the dusty air.
"The broadsword. An extremely useful weapon in close combat. At least if you can wield it. Here, come here and take it."
Why was he doing that now? Suspiciously, I frowned and once again he seemed to read my mind.
"If I wanted to harm you, I wouldn't offer it to you. Now get over here, I don't have all day for such shenanigans."
Oh well, I understood. He was bored, that was all.
With a quiet sigh, I stood up and faced him. He held the sword out to me, which I grasped hesitantly by the hilt. He let go without warning and the blade bounced loudly on the floor. It was heavy as hell!
"Couldn't you have warned me that it was so heavy?! Or couldn't you have said you'd let go?!", I asked irritably, hearing him snort quietly in amusement.
"Does your enemy tell you what he plans to do next?"
I paused and looked at him for a long moment before shaking my head.
"That's right. He just lets you run into the void and exploits your weaknesses. Much like the Stark who took advantage of our recklessness. A significant mistake for which many soldiers bled and died. But from our mistakes we learn."
He reached out and suddenly placed his hand quickly over mine around the hilt. I was willing to pull it away, but he did not let go. Warm it felt, a big difference from my relatively cool hand. Big and warm, almost protective in a figurative sense. But not for me. I was disgusted by this moment and wished it would end soon.
Together with me, he straightened the sword and held it aloft as he continued to speak.
"Always keep your power unnoticed in the background, be it your physical strength or an ally," Tywin suddenly leaned over the blade towards me, we were separated by only a few inches and he lowered his voice to a haunting whisper, "Let your enemies know what it means to choose the wrong side."
He moved away, looked at me and I recognised pride in his gaze. He raised his voice again.
"Do you understand what I am saying?"
I just nodded and he let go again. Again the blade crashed to the floor, but before he could say anything I added my second hand and raised it again. However, with too much momentum and Tywin dodged just in time as the blade whizzed past his stomach by a hair's breadth. I startled and let it fall to the ground with a thud as I hastily backed away. I almost sliced him open!
"Seven hells, that....wasn't intentional, my lord! Really it wasn't!"
He only raised his hand and I forced myself to calm down.
"A firm stance and marksmanship are paramount in battle, as is speed. Otherwise you will never be able to hold your own against soldiers. Words alone won't always save you, even though they can be sharp weapons too."
I faltered and stared at him.
"How...?"
"Believe me, little one - I know considerably more than you think. Now go tend to my horse and then organise lunch. I have more work to do... Oh, and one more thing."
I looked him straight in the eye.
"What is it, my lord?"
His voice took on that deadly undertone again.
"Don't you ever dare question me in front of others again. Do you understand me?"
Hastily I nodded, moved away from him and reviewed what had happened. Had he seen it out of the window earlier? Had someone else told him? Questions to which I would probably never get an answer....