13.

~~~

I stared after her for a moment longer until the door slammed shut. How in all seven hells could my men be so infinitely stupid and not realise her true identity? Wretched good-for-nothings! It was more than obvious after all! The slightly softer features, the tone of voice. All right, the clothes and the haircut weren't particularly feminine, but otherwise? Was I really surrounded by idiots here? I didn't even want to imagine the consequences of such inattention. We would look like complete fools, that's how wars were lost and kings overthrown! No, I had to prevent that at all costs! If such a mistake came to my attention again, I would crack down. We simply could not afford such foolishness!
If the soldiers lack discipline, the fault lies with their commander, I called the words to Tyrion back into my head and ground my jaws bitterly. I could trust no one! Really no one, that had been confirmed to me again today!
I sat back and stared thoughtfully at the table in front of me. My thoughts returned to the conversation I had just had. Ser... This girl didn't know the first thing about dealing with the higher classes. But I would educate her yet. If she could disguise herself, she would be able to learn. She already seemed to be smarter than my men.
I spread out my map and began to plan further strategies for the young wolf. Soon, hopefully, Kevan would arrive, I much preferred my brother to the other strategists in my army. We had fought so many battles together, we would fight this war just like the last one. A lion wouldn't be led around by the nose by a still green wolf! I'm going to win this damn war! No matter what it costs!
After a while I heard the door open behind me. I had got up and walked around the table while studying my map and placing the little wooden lions and wolves. A disgusting habit, I thought. Still, I always hoped for different angles and new ideas for better strategies this way.
"Where to put the wine, Lord Tywin?", I heard the voice of the girl behind me and gestured with my hand to the empty space on the table to my left. Not looking up from my map for a second, I stood directly in front of it. Better safe than sorry, she certainly won't see it that way, I thought to myself and continued planning.
I sensed the stirring beside me and turned my attention to the carafe and mug for a split second.
"Are you at least familiar with making fire?", I elaborated on our previous conversation and let my gaze wander a little further to the left. Blue-grey eyes met mine before finding her feet again. Her clothes already seemed stiff with dirt and dark brown, her hair sticking out in all directions like a hedgehog. It was also dark brown because of the mud and stringy.
The girl turned away without a word and went to the large fireplace opposite me. She had brought a small pile of logs and now began to stack them slowly before starting a proper fire with some tinder.
"Impressive," I heard myself say, registering exactly her twitch, however minimal, "Who taught you? Your father?"
A small eternity passed before she answered. Meanwhile, she did not move a bit, seeming to have lapsed into a kind of rigidity.
"Yes, my lord."
Three single words in a tone so icy that I thought I could feel the winter behind the wall. Had I already sensed her first sore spot? ...