29.

After I had eaten Tywin's lunch under Jeanny's angry gaze and taken care of his horse, I polished his armour and awaited the evening. I had been going over the Lorch thing again and speculation about Arya was still running through my mind. I couldn't really believe that she would want to harm Lord Tywin, but still - Gendry, Hot Pie and her were no longer safe here. They had to leave before anything happened. Even though I had been so reluctant to do so, they had all three become very important to me. And I couldn't bear the thought of anything happening to them here.
As dusk fell, I went into the kitchen to Arya. She was sitting next to Jeanny, working on vegetables. Jeanny was silent as usual and her brow furrowed even more as I walked up to them both.
"Does Lord Tywin want something," she asked and I nodded slightly.
"I need Arya for a moment. I need her to help me with the Lord's bedding, I can't get it clean and dried in time for the night's rest on my own," I asserted, "But she'll be back in a moment to give you a hand further, don't worry."
Jeanny was extremely unlikeable to me and I knew that would never change. Nevertheless, I spoke in a polite tone. Much like I did to the soldiers.
"Hurry up, I want to finish tonight, I have more to do."
I nodded and hurriedly pulled a bewildered Arya after me up the stairs to my small chamber.
"What's wrong with you all of a sudden? Did something bite you?"
I closed the door and looked briefly out the window, checking to see if anyone below was within earshot. But the courtyard was empty, so I lowered my voice and looked piercingly at Arya.
"A crazy but serious question, Arya. And you must swear to answer it honestly, yes?"
She nodded in confusion and I took a deep breath.
"Arya, did you have something to do with the death of the soldier Ser Lorch?"
"Are you crazy??? What makes you think that?"
"The poison was found to be wolfsbane. A rare substance that doesn't exist here in the Riverlands. But it does in the north. Lorch was carrying a letter that Lord Tywin had been missing since the previous evening. And that night, you were the only one to enter the room in my place."
Arya looked at her feet for a moment, then back at me.
"You can't seriously believe that!"
"Wolfsbane, Arya. As far as I know, a wolf adorns the Starks' banner. The Starks live in the north as far as I remember - the home of this poisonous plant. Excuse me, but this all seems extremely suspicious to me, especially as Lord Tywin is moving against your brother. So again - did you have anything to do with this?"
"Are you planning to betray me?"
I widened my eyes and returned her gaze. Provokingly, she jutted her chin and looked up at me. So I had been right after all! I didn't know how to respond to that. I breathed in and out, then ran my fingers through my short blonde hair.
"I don't want to betray you, I want to protect you. You and also Gendry and Hot Pie. If I can find out who did this, Lord Tywin even more so can. You must escape as quickly as possible, Arya. Do you hear me?"
I grabbed her by the shoulders, forcing myself to stay calm so I wouldn't raise my voice. She looked up at me, something snivelling entering her eyes.
"Aren't you coming?"
The sight gave me a nasty twinge, she reminded me of my little brother. I took a deep breath and slowly shook my head.
"I can't come with you, it's too dangerous. If I go, Lord Tywin will come looking for us because I know too much of his battle plans. If you go alone, he may not even notice. After all, officially you know nothing of his machinations, do you understand?"
Arya nodded, but did not look at all convinced. Her big round eyes began to glitter and I had to look away. Too clearly I was now seeing my little brother again and the pain assaulted me once more. I let go of her shoulders - and froze completely as she suddenly rushed forward and wrapped her arms around me.
I no longer knew the feeling of an embrace.
It was strange and repugnant to me.
I frowned, not moving a bit. Arya seemed to notice this and moved away.
"Sorry... I don't want to go without you though!"
"Gendry and Hot Pie will look after you. And if somehow I should ever be able to, I will follow you."
"Keep heading north until you reach Winterfell. We'll be waiting for you there," Arya whispered, letting the tears fall. I swallowed hard and nodded.
"Winterfell, I will keep it in mind. Now go and see to an escape plan."
"I already know how we're going to do it. Tonight we'll move out."
I grabbed her hand briefly and looked into her storm grey eyes one last time.
"I'll stand here by the window and watch you, you have my word." ...