12. Sarah

After the party, everyone pretty much said they wanted to learn how to communicate with Callie, too. So we agreed in the morning, B would call the Association and see about rescheduling the class and having it at the house. They were able to accommodate us and so we'd have the class at two instead of 11, and at home, instead of at the association's offices.

In the morning, Callie surprised us by getting by getting up before us and making breakfast. Clearly someone had taught her how to cook. Pancakes anyway. And she'd cut up some strawberries and made coffee.

We ate and then headed to Anna Rappazzo's gallery. Callie had even insisted in cleaning up after breakfast. She was just too sweet.

We drove to the gallery and Anna knew it was us right away. She started signing with Callie and Callie was agog.

The two of them talked and talked and B and I just watched as their hands flew. I'd asked her to get an idea of things Callie liked that could be painted on her walls, but could also grow with her so that at 16, she won't look at her room and think that it's the room of a 12 year old.

Callie was a little shy at first, but she and Anna really hit it off and she was chatting and laughing in no time.

After an hour, Callie realized we were missing our class. Brendon let her know the lesson would be at home because our friends wanted to learn to communicate with her, too. She was so taken aback by that.

Anna asked us about our friends also wanting to learn and Brendon explained that we are very close with our friends and they want to get to know Callie on her terms, too.

Anna was surprised and also said she had some ideas for Callie'a room, would come up with some concept drawings and come by next week. Brendon told her to text and we'd set up a time.

We said our goodbyes and Callie, with a huge smile on her face, climbed into the back. She started typing on her phone and just kept going.

Finally my phone dinged with her text. It was a novel. I smiled.

'Anna is so cool!' She started. And then a whole page of text about what they talked about and about living in a hearing world. How lucky Callie is that we're learning sign and that Anna thinks Callie is very smart.

Callie didn't say what they talked about for her room though. And when I asked, she said: 'it's a surprise.'

I smiled.

Back at the house, I put together a quick lunch for us. Just sandwiches. We had the person from the association coming at one and sign class at two. I sent Callie a text and let her know what the afternoon would look like.

'Do I have to sit in on your class?' She asked. 'I already know sign language.'

The cheek on this kid!  I couldn't help but laugh. She smiled.

'You have a great sense of humour. And no. Obviously you don't. You can watch TV with the sound off, or sit outside and read, if you want. Or watch us try to learn a new language and laugh at us,' I texted back. Callie smiled her beautiful smile.

At one, the doorbell rang and Brendon went to answer it. He was followed in by a gentleman, probably about 50, who came with a clipboard and a briefcase.

"Hi," he said, as he signed for Callie. "I'm
John Pepper. Like the spice. I'm here to help assess your house for assistive devices? For your daughter?"

"Right," Brendon said.

"Okay. Let's take a walk through your home, if you don't mind."

We led John through the house and showed him Callie's room, our room, bathrooms, kitchen, the studio, the pool. He took notes as we went through, and then we sat at the dining room table while he went over things we should have.

"You'll definitely want a doorbell light as well as smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Callie won't hear if they go off," he said.

Callie nodded.

"We figured that much," I said. "But we're also concerned about knocking on her door and letting her know we're there. As well as an alarm clock for when school starts."

John nodded.

"One thing I would recommend you get on your own, it's cheaper, is a baby monitor."

"Why?" I asked. That seemed strange.

"If Callie has a nightmare, is sick in the middle of the night, she won't be able to call for you, but you would be able to hear her. A lot of Deaf kids vocalize when they're having nightmares. They don't know it and the sounds don't wake them up. That way, if anything happens in the middle of the night, you're covered. Just get a cheap one from, like Target or Toys R Us."

"That makes sense," Bren said.

"I'd also suggest a door alert. It's a light that can go anywhere in Callie's room that will react to vibrations on her door. That way when you knock, the light will flash. Like the smoke detector. But it will have a different pattern."

"Okay."

"Also, although Callie is 12, and clearly smart, I'd suggest something for the pool or the door. An alarm that can be placed on the door so you know she's gone outside."

"We can set our house alarm to have the door chime whenever it's opened and closed."

"Okay. Perfect. I would consider getting a Deaf lifeguard to come do some water safety training with Callie, too. You can call the association and have them send someone."

"Callie," he asked as he signed, which he'd been doing the whole time." "Can you swim?"

Callie nodded and signed something to him.

"I had a pool at one of the foster homes, and the Children's Home took us for lessons, too," he interpreted for us.

"Okay, great. So you know to be careful around water, right?"

Callie nodded and smiled. She signed something that had her knock her fist against her forehead. John laughed.

"I know how to swim and not to go to the pool alone. I'm Deaf, not stupid," she smiled as John interpreted.

"I didn't think you were," John smiled. "But your mom and dad are going to have a lifeguard come and do some water safety with you, okay?"

Callie shrugged and nodded.

John discussed a few other items he thought we should get, things for the kitchen, the alarm, if the dogs were barking and Callie was home alone, although we didn't expect that to be an issue really.

John said he could have people come in the next day or so to install the lights and he could bring the other things as well. I felt better knowing we were making the house safe for Callie.